Saturday, 25 March 2017

Chuckles Weekend Roundup


Welcome to my new feature Chuckles Weekend Roundup where I will be looking at what books I've received, anything interesting I've done or bought or watched and other random stuff. I'll be taking a look back at what happened in my blogging world too, sort of like The Sunday Post that some of you do! 

Please note that I'll be visiting your STS/SP as normal, but I don't follow or leave comments on blogs run by Google Plus or DISQUS as I refuse to join something just to leave comments, and I won't allow DISQUS to follow new people, update my profile or post tweets 'on my behalf'. I am the only one who does that on my blog! Sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me because I deleted my account with them but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
****************
Another weekend roundup! I haven't got as much reading done this week as I would have liked. I've been tired all week and spent a lot of time curled up in front of the TV watching my Gold Rush dvds. Over the last two weeks I've binge watched seasons 1-3 and enjoyed seeing them again. I do need to put a lot of effort in for the last week of the month to get a few more books read and up the total a bit. I don't think I'll get all 31 targeted books read as a few are over 300 pages and I doubt I'll have time but I plan to get close.

On the book buying front, I had a bit of a field day! I had a few issues with companies online this week and got stressed out so that was the excuse needed to treat myself to a few books to cheer myself up. Nothing like a bit of retail therapy eh? I read Bigfoot War and loved it so just HAD to buy the rest of the books. As you do. I grabbed the newest zombie book by Nicholas Sansbury Smith and another apocalypse series. I did also grab a few downloads. Am I going to get my book target down to 800 by the end of the month? Hmm, looking doubtful at the moment. Oh well, at least I have more shiny books to enjoy! Now I need to focus on what I'm planning to read next month...

DOWNLOADS:    



PAPERBACKS:










Chuckles Blogging World:

On the blogging side of things I had a productive week overall with plenty of posts uploaded and some good discussion posts. I had a few things to do around the house so I fell a little behind on blog visits so I'm sorry if I didn't appear too often at your blogs this week. Hope to do better next week and be a little less stressed! Anyway this is what was going on at The Book Cave last week with links to each post in case you missed it.

Book Reviews: 

This week I featured four more books in the brilliant Arisen zombie series which I read back in February. If you like fast paced zombie action then you really need to check it out. Book #1 Fortress Britain is quite often free on Amazon. I also reviewed a monster book about a megalodon shark which was enjoyable, and did the latest in my Mini Reviews Catch Up where I review several books on one post.

Michael Stephen Fuchs-Three Parts Dead (Arisen #3)

Michael Stephen Fuchs-Genesis (Arisen #3.5)

Michael Stephen Fuchs-Maximum Violence (Arisen #4)

Michael Stephen Fuchs-Exodus (Arisen #5)

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up: Apocalypse and UF roundup

Regular Features: 

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Short Stories 

Chuckles Cover Love: G Michael Hopf

Discussion Posts: 

Chuckles Chat: Blog Content. What attracts you to follow a blog?

Terror Hits London: A look at the terrorist attack.

Game of Thrones Gossip #7: The Stark Children

Book Challenge Updates: 

My Goodreads Challenge total currently stands at 76/250 which is pleasing. 

I'm progressing well with my Monster Month of March, getting lots of sharks, Bigfoots and zombies etc read. Not sure I will get all 31 books read as time is running out and there are big books still to tackle. As long as I get close I'm happy. 

TBR total of books I own but haven't read yet stands at 826. I had hoped to get down to 800 tbr books left by the end of March but a huge book splurge this week seems to have put paid to that! Still, I hope to hit that goal in the first week or two in April so it isn't a disaster!

That's all for this week! Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to visit my blog and leave comments. You guys are great! 

28 comments:

  1. I definitely understand the urge for some retail therapy sometimes. I am feeling the urge to splurge soon. lol I hope you are still able to reach your goal, even though you've added a few more. You are kicking your challenges butt so far! I think I'm around 45/200 right now, so not too bad. Hope you have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better after the Bigfoot splurge! I'm having a Bigfoot week the first week in April to get them read! I'm not going to manage to read 26 books in a week so I won't hit that target! I'll hit it in April instead so it's not a disaster.

      Delete
  2. I've had Footprints of Thunder sitting on my shelf for a while now, but have been reluctant to give it a read. I've seen his other books described as "Left Behind" type Christian fundamentalism, and that just doesn't mesh with my idea of a dinosaur thriller. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erk, christian fundamentalism is really not top of my reading loves. In fact I avoid anything like that. I think I better check out some reviews on the book before I decide whether or not to pick it up. I appreciate the heads up Bob!

      Delete
  3. I also bought books this week. I’ve been reading really slowly lately, so buying more books was probably a terrible decision, but I needed some retail therapy. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we all need a bit of retail therapy! I finally managed to get all the books I bought this year off the floor and onto units and bookcases. Not greatly tidy but it'll do for the moment. If I could stick to a book ban I'd impose one right now!

      Delete
  4. Footprints of Thunder looks awesome! So does Dark Days Rough Roads and Extinction. And glad Bigfoot Wars is good- those covers crack me up! Good luck with your reading goals- hope you hit the 31. But even if you don't, hopefully the reads are good. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark Days Rough Roads was a good apocalypse read so I bought it and the sequel in paperback. Bigfoot War was really good-lots of gore, death, a tribe of Sasquatches and a few twists! The edition I have is an anthology of the first three books. I don't think I'll hit 31 but I'm going to get close which is the main thing!

      Delete
    2. I need more Sasquatches! :)

      Delete
    3. You'll be flooded in them in Bigfoot War!

      Delete
  5. New books do make me feel better! I don't think I have ever read a Big Foot book. Enjoy all of your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been fascinated by Bigfoot/Sasquatch since I saw The Legend of Boggy Creek as a kid. I can't get enough of them!

      Delete
  6. Slow week for me. This week will be the same as my kid will be home from college and we'll most likely be doing outdoorsy or movie things. Hey, I noticed you're Hufflepuff - me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm definitely a Hufflepuff! I was never the smartest kid at school but I did work hard! And I love badgers...

      Delete
  7. I hear ya, nothing cheers me up more than going book shopping either! Now I really want to get my hands on that Nicholas Sansbury Smith book, I had no idea he wrote a zombie book! I NEED!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NSS book I got this week is book #6.5 in the series so start with book #1 Extinction Horizon. I loved that book! Haven't read the rest of the series yet but my dad loved it all!

      Delete
  8. Very successful week and lots of reading done, congrats :)
    I was on a holiday for a week and am just now catching up on what has been happening in the blogging world :D

    I need to start this 'Arisen'-series. I will probably choose part 1 as my Zombie book in April :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a great holiday! Arisen is a great series and the first book Fortress Britain is quite often free on Amazon.

      Delete
  9. New books are always a good picker-upper. I feel like most people are talking about clothes when they talk about retail therapy, but not us, haha.

    I should probably try Nicholas Sansbury Smith's other series considering how much I'm enjoying Hell Divers.

    Every time I think of shark books, all I can think of is one time when I did a sharks cover post and found the most ridiculously hilarious shark book titles, my favorite of which had to be "Big Ass Shark" lol. You should read that one, I'm dying to know what in the world it could possibly be about ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clothes, pah! *waves hand in dismissal* These shoppers are amateurs compared to us! I've heard of the film Big Ass Spider but never a book called Big Ass Shark! Might need to check that out...I have four different series by NSS waiting on my shelves now. I've still to try Orbs, Trackers and Hell Divers plus catch up with Extinction Horizon!

      Delete
  10. Retail therapy with books is the best! Hope you're feeling less stressed now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something dumb seems to stress me out every week! I think that's why I buy so many books...

      Delete
  11. OMG I love the cover of Outbreak. And hey, I'm glad you worked in some retail therapy. My weekend has not gone as planned. Needless to say, my cousins have once again messed with my serenity and Mr. Barb and I have been spending time with Grandpa and helping him get them out of his house. Hoping to squeeze in some reading time tonight before watching The Walking Dead. So I'm curious how many shelves you own for that many books. I'd love to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to booby trap your grandpa's place to keep those cousins out and fit big ass locks! Maybe a crocodile moat? My room is in such a mess right now with stuff everywhere. If I ever get it tidied I'll post photos! I have six bookcases in my room-3 have six big shelves, one has five and two have three. I have to keep all my clothes in my dad's room!

      Oh, while I remember, on your March 17th STS I've replied about the guest post for you and Booker T. It'll be a matter of whenever suits you as I'm not one for planning ahead at The Book Cave! I'm ready any time!

      Delete
    2. Yea I saw your reply this weekend. My mind is turning and I'm batting around a few ideas. I will try to get something out to you next week. Booker T is heavily learning toward "Why Dogs are Better than Cats - in real life and in fiction" but I'm not 100% sure yet!

      Delete
    3. I think Booker T has a nice idea there! (Dogs are so much better than cats however you look at it!) I'm open to anything dog related you want to do so go wild!

      Delete
  12. VERY nice haul last week, Chuckles! I think any excuse to one-click books is a good excuse ;)
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never short of an excuse to click!

      Delete