Thursday, 23 March 2017

Terror Hits London


I had just finished watching a Resident Evil dvd at two thirty yesterday afternoon and minutes later the breaking news appeared on Sky that there was an 'incident' in London. We now know that an evil scumbag drove a car through pedestrians on Westminister Bridge, injuring many people in a terrorist attack. He then drove off the bridge, crashed into the railings around Parliament, and attacked unarmed police officers nearby at the gate into Parliament, tragically killing one brave police officer before being shot dead by armed police.

Words really do fail you when you watch this unfolding live on TV and online. The horrific photographs and videos online of the dead and dying were heartbreaking. All those people badly injured who might never recover from the trauma. Should people be filming the victims to share online instead of helping them? Should these photos be retweeted before families are informed about their loved ones being injured? Can you imagine finding out your relative might be dead by viewing a photo of it on Twitter? And lets not forget the moronic tosser who was using a selfie stick to pose in front of the carnage on the bridge.


I felt the anger that these scumbags think they have the right to murder innocent people for their twisted ideals. I so wanted to see him face justice for what he did. The other thing we saw a lot of was racism directed at all muslims online, as always happens but a lot was aimed at London's Mayor. The fury I felt that a minority of Trump supporters were saying on Twitter that London was reaping its rewards for having a Muslim London Mayor and having too many muslim citizens. How dare these ignorant people say such despicable things when people are dying? What is wrong with them? To basically say 'serves you right' sickened me and I had to show real restraint not to go and tell them what I thought of them. Would they have liked it if we made such cruel comments after 9/11??? But the poignant moment for me was the sight of former military man and current MP Tobias Ellwood trying to save the dying police offer, working alongside the emergency services. 



My final word on this is to praise the emergency services especially the police. They ran towards danger to protect the people inside Parliament and civilians nearby with no thought for their own safety. Those unarmed police who tackled the terrorist with the knives are true heroes and one lost his life for it. Our intelligence agencies and police have foiled countless terrorist attacks over the years to keep us safe and deserve our praise for that. But nobody can prevent this kind of Lone Wolf attack however good our security services are. Nobody could have saved the poor people on the bridge. All we can do is try to be vigilant and aware and hope not to be in the wrong place if it happens. We must not turn on innocent muslims in our country who are NOT to blame for his actions and who could just as easily have been amongst his victims. We have to carry on and not let these evil bastards win.

My thoughts today are with the victims and their families. 

10 comments:

  1. So well put. It's hard to ignore people when they are behaving so ignorantly. I can honestly admit I am ashamed for America if some people are saying this was deserved - how rude, uncalled for and totally inappropriate and wrong. I also hate that because of social media, these horrible attacks get publicized many times in the wrong manner. I can't imagine being a relative of the victims and having to see things that way and then relive them over and over again. And the guy with the selfie stick - don't even get me started. I really want to say something more about him but will keep my opinions and my ideas to myself. Lone Wolf attacks are the hardest to prevent and it's such a sad day for London. Thanks for such a wonderfully written post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly there are thoughtless idiots in every country including my own who seek to make political capital out of carnage. There were UK users who seemed almost pleased because it was a chance to bash muslims again. Twisted people. The selfie stick guy is really getting it online-if his identity leaks out he will be in a world of hurt from trolls. Can't say I have much sympathy. Taking photos is something a lot of people did but I do draw the line about putting yourself in the picture to kind of say 'hey, look I'm on the bridge!' Gah. Thanks for all your kind words Barb and to the vast majority of your fellow Americans who have shown great solidarity with us online.

      Delete
  2. I hate it when people take photos of tragic situations and post them on social media. It’s disgusting and insensitive. Why would anyone think that is okay?

    Also, Trump is bringing out the worst in people. It’s embarrassing to be American right now. I think his approval rating is at 39%, so the majority of Americans don’t support him. I sure don’t.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand people taking photos...these could be useful as crime scene photos later to give to police, something my dad did once. His photos were used as evidence in a court case. But we would never put them online, EVER. And we would NOT be posing for selfies. Having worked in security and a couple of hospital departments including pathology and A&E, blood and injuries have no effect on me so I would have had to do something.

      A minority of Trump's supporters and his SON were making appalling posts in the aftermath of the disaster which really sickened me. This is a time for solidarity not political point scoring for your own agenda. I've never seen behaviour like it before. When you think how united America was after 9/11, I'm really sad to see how things are right now. But the vast majority of you guys are great people who have the same values as us Brits and we appreciate your support at times like this.

      Delete
  3. The world is a very scary place right now. I also agree that Trump is bringing out the worst in some people. He sounds like such a fool in his tweets. I still fell like the election was all a fever dream. Hopefully things will turn around in four years or so . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is scary indeed Bark. I used to work in security so I'm a very paranoid person when I go out anywhere crowded, looking for people or things out of place. I've reported countless unattended bags or suspicious people in my time. It's sad that we need to live like this. I'm pretty worried about the future. I think Trump needs to stop tweeting nonsense and fire some of the idiots around him for starters coz when he says something dumb, it inspires the online idiots to do the same.

      Delete
  4. Well said. And agree. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the UK. I would think everyone's first impulse would be to help or get out of the way, not take pics. And a selfie? Someone obviously has their priorities wrong.

    Agree with AJ too, many of us in America are embarrassed and disgusted by Trump. The fact that many in America are not tuned in and therefore not aware of the daily travesties he puts forward is not particularly comforting either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. That selfie guy might need to move house when he gets identified. Bloody idiot. Why would you DO that? I joined Twitter to follow the live sporting events and share book posts but you get trolled for everything you say or retweet and I've really come to hate it and I'm hardly ever on it now.

      I wasn't surprised by Trump's election and I understand why so many voted for him when he talked about increased security and American jobs. But when I see these nightly Twitter rants, Obama spying through microwaves, or the allegation that British are spying on Trump, it makes me wonder if we should let him visit our country on a state visit. Who knows what he'll say when he gets here? What also concerns me is that when he makes allegations without proof, it is taken for fact by many of his supporters!

      Delete
  5. UGH don't get me started with racist Trump supporters [not all Trump supporters are but many are]. They play exactly the role terrorists want them to play. Spreading hate and diving and labeling humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. I've been revolted by the terrible racism that has been on the internet since the attack. Having idiots making comments online like that only helps the terrorist cause and I hate it.

      Delete