Tuesday, 21 March 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!  http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

This week's topic covers books you read in a day/one sitting. Well reading Indie apocalypse books means that covers about half of my book collection so I need to rethink this a bit and just go with Top Ten Short Stories. It's hard to write a satisfying very short story but these hit the mark for me! Some are stand-alone, others prequels to a series.

1) Jude Michael Connors-What Waits Through the Trapdoor (31pages)
A missing teen turns up, rambling about how her boyfriend was eaten, and she is taken to the psych ward and her warnings are ignored. But the Order of St. George listened. Tom Reidy and his fellow monster hunters scour the city in an attempt to find out what terrible fate has befallen the teens. Will the answers be found beneath a fetid corner store? Prequel.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19232766-what-waits-through-the-trapdoor 

2) Quent Cordair-Sheltered (36 pages)
Reginald was convinced that he had to build a nuclear bunker in his garden and becomes obsessed with the project. But he feels vindicated when the nuclear bomb drops but is stranded underground for a whole year wondering what happened to everyone else he knew including his family who didn't make it to the bunker. This is a great stand-alone story with a twist.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13615750-sheltered

3) P Mark DeBryan-In for a dollar in for a dime (28 pages)
This story follows Ryan Brant as he heads for a family reunion in the northwest. The family is headed for the reunion when a pandemic breaks out and the vaccine created makes things worse... much worse. Zombies! Prequel to a series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26212073-in-for-a-dollar-in-for-a-dime 

4) Suzanne Jenkins-Burn District (22 pages)
Hurricane Sandy brings a water-born infection to the US which can only be destroyed by fire. The government are burning towns without letting people evacuate and the Davis family flee as their town is next on the list, making themselves criminals in the eyes of the authorities. Now they need to get to a safe haven...Prequel to a series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23506044-burn-district 

5) Leonard Little-The Turning of the Spit (19 pages) 
Waking up with a hangover, Wade figures his day at the slaughter house can't get any worse. Boy was he ever wrong. A band of demon possessed pigs armed with AK 47:s and shot guns take over as they gather the workers for slaughter. This was a fun short read and I found it pretty funny! Stand-alone.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20544604-the-turning-of-the-spit 

6) Melissa Wright-A vision for the Future (44 pages)
When Elaina meets her partner for the first time, she just knows that he will become President of the United States-in the same way that she knows how she will die, what she was wearing and that it will happen in water. As the time of her death gets nearer, the signs are all there and the couple prepare for the end but even Elaina cannot predict what will happen next. Stand-alone.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19238159-a-vision-for-the-future

7) James R Tuck-That Thing at the Zoo (63 pages)
Deacon Chalk kills monsters and his latest task is to find out what is attacking animals at the zoo. With the zoo in lockdown and only dedicated zoo keepers to help, Deacon has to stop the creature getting loose in the city. This is the prequel to the brilliant Deacon Chalk urban fantasy series. #0.5. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13182622-that-thing-at-the-zoo 

8) Paige Reiring-Spawn (20 pages) 
When a person has too much of a vice or a virtue, they spawn it from their body into controllable little monster pets to do their bidding. Alice has one of each and they help her in her job as a ruthless assassin. But one of her victims has spawned a huge vice, bigger than anything Alice has ever dealt with and that monster is coming to kill her. Stand-alone.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18441912-spawn 

9) Richard Schiver-Enter Night (73 pages) 
A night of celebration turns to terror as six friends seek refuge in an abandoned farmhouse and come face to face with their worst nightmares. For there are places even the ghosts of the dead fear. Where nightmares wander the hallways of our dreams, and not every story ends with a happily ever after. Stand-alone.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17128589-enter-night  

10) Joseph Sweet-The Last Day (34 pages) 
On the heels of a perfect vacation, and marriage to the guy she thought to be the man of her dreams, Naomi finds herself in the middle of a zombie outbreak. It is the beginning of the end. And what may be her last normal day, a day that was nearly perfect in every way, ends with chaos and a nightmarish journey home. Stand-alone.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17706082-the-last-day 
 

16 comments:

  1. You just reminded me I still need to grab the Tuck series and start it. I really need to start a master list somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the author would hurry up and write more of these books as I just loved them! That thing at the zoo is a good place to start though and it's often free.

      Delete
  2. I really like the fact that so many of the books you recommend are science fiction or dystopian. Those are two genres that I can't get enough of!

    The Last Day sounds particularly good. Zombies are so frightening. I can't imagine trying to survive an invasion of them.

    Here is my <a href="http://www.longandshortreviews.com/miscellaneous-musings/read-in-one-sitting/>TTT</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you like the books I've been featuring! You're never quite sure who shares your love of a genre so it's great to find another dystopian fan! I've popped over to your blog to follow and it's a good mixture of genres!

      I think I might spend too much time thinking about the zombie apocalypse! I'm always looking at other people's houses and saying 'those windows are too low...zombies could easily get in'. I'm a bit obsessed with zombies!

      Delete
  3. I can't remember the last time I read a book in one sitting. Even novellas take me several days! Your reading skills continue to amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were certainly pretty short! I can generally get through three or four of this length in a night if things go well. Next week if I don't like the topic I might do ten longer novellas I liked.

      Delete
  4. Yay, all new to me authors are on your list this week... I like discovering new authors.

    And yes, I agree with you that satisfying short stories are difficult to find!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/03/top-ten-tuesday-list-of-books-to-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few series here that I certainly plan to follow up on when I track them down or time allows!

      Delete
  5. Spawn sounds kind of awesome. And so does what Waits Through The Trapdoor (I love monster hunters) and Sheltered as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed all of these short stories and it was kind of fun to do a list with them as you don't often get good quality in short stories. Might do a novella list next!

      Delete
  6. I don't read a lot of short stories unless I am already involved with the series. Every once in a while, I do feel like reading one. These might be a good way to test out a new author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I use these short stories for-trying new authors or seeing if a series might appeal to me. Usually these books are free so it makes sense to grab them and give them a go!

      Delete
  7. Very interesting list - and good call putting the page numbers with them. Thanks for coming by my blog, I look forward to more conversations about our shared interests!

    http://allthebookblognamesaretaken.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really nice to meet you Sarah! Thanks for stopping by to say hello and I look forward to chatting with you!

      Delete
  8. Most of these are probably not my thing, but I might just check some of them out -- I do enjoy the sort of book I can read in one go, and I'm pretty eclectic really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are certainly short reads which is good for getting a few in for one day's reading!

      Delete