Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Game of Thrones Gossip #8: Tyrion Lannister

Welcome to my Game of Thrones Gossip, where all of us fanatics get the chance to discuss everything we love about this amazing TV series. I did a few spoiler free posts about the series last year but I found that there were other bloggers out there who were also itching to talk more freely about favourite characters and events without spoiling things for those visiting the blog. So I decided to do a whole series of these discussion posts that let us say everything we want and enjoy every second of it! The topics may talk about a death, an event, a character or be season reviews and so on. Please feel free to comment fully and without restriction!

I have to warn you that it is important that you have seen all six seasons before reading any of these posts because these posts and blogger comments will be oozing and exploding spoilers all over the place. If you haven't watched the series and plan to, be warned that it's a bad idea to be here right now! I take no responsibility if you read on and things are spoiled for you nor do I take responsibility for any mistakes on the pages I link you to.


This week I'm continuing with my season one theme by looking at Tyrion Lannister. He is without doubt my favourite character and I loved his journey. But lets look back at Tyrion in season one.

Tyrion grew up in a household where his father and sister blamed him for his mother's death in childbirth, and in a later emotional episode, Tywin admits to almost murdering his son as a baby. Only his brother Jaime ever seemed to care about him. The family neglect leads to us meeting Tyrion as a drunken lech who spends his money on whores and trying to live up to his father's image of him as useless. He is rude and snide to pretty much everyone which leads to some very funny moments but he is also very intelligent and knows exactly how to play the game at Court. He could have been a real asset to his family had his father showed any real interest in him but instead, he is mocked for being an imp.

"All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes."

The first person we see Tyrion connect with is Jon Snow, after insulting him of course. Here is someone else who is looked after financially by his family but remains on the outside looking in, just like Tyrion. They bond on their trip to Castle Black where Tyrion is eager to piss from the top of The Wall, which amused me but probably horrified Tywin! It is also the advice he gives Jon that helps him to find friends at Castle Black. On his way back to King's Landing, Tyrion stops in at Winterfell to visit Bran and helps the boy find some meaning in his life. Again Tyrion recognises that Bran is going to be viewed with pity or have people ignoring him, and want to try to help him. 

"A Lannister always pays his debts."

While at Castle Black, Tyrion meets with Maester Aemon and Joer Mormont who ask for more help at Castle Black, which would indicate that Tywin isn't listening. It seems to me that most Houses are happy to send their criminals to The Wall but aren't interested when calls for help go out. In fact when Castle Black is attacked later, letters begging for help are sent out and Stannis Baratheon is the only one who drops everything to go to their aid. Tyrion meets a problem on the road home when he is arrested by a furious Catelyn Stark, accused of trying to kill Bran. He is taken for trial at the Eyrie where he is also accused of killing Jon Arryn.

"When I was ten, I stuffed my uncle's boots with goat shit. When confronted with my crime, I blamed a squire. Poor boy was flogged..."

The highlight of season one for me is definitely Tyrion's trial. I was laughing my ass off at his confessions, which horrified all the watching ladies. It reminded me of Chunk confessing his sins in The Goonies which I found equally funny. Tyrion also uses his wit to demand trial by combat, knowing it is the only way to get a fair trial and Bronn comes to his aid to win his freedom. The relationship between Bronn and Tyrion is a lot of fun. I enjoy the banter between them and when they team up with Shagga, it just gets funnier. The look on Tywin's face when he sees Tyrion and his misfits arriving to get paid for helping him is priceless! As was the  moment Tyrion is knocked out leading the way to battle...Lots of funny moments with the character. I also enjoy when he slaps Joffrey...

We also get that poignant moment when Tyrion is talking to Bronn and Shae in the tent and starts to describes his first love, who he quickly married and was happy with. But it turned out to be a prostitute that Jaime provided to make his brother happy and losing her broke his heart. It certainly explains why Tyrion behaves the way he does, preferring brief nights with prostitutes to having a relationship. He sees something different in Shae and she seems to like him too and he decides to take a chance on her. 

We end the season with Tyrion finally getting some kind of approval from his father when he is told that he is to go to King's Landing to sort out Joffrey and be the acting Hand of the King. This as we know turns out to be more of a curse than a blessing...as is the fateful decision to take Shae against his father's orders.

What is your favourite Tyrion moment in season one? What are your thoughts on the character and his relationships in season one? I will do further posts on Tyrion and other main characters as their stories progress through the seasons.  

8 comments:

  1. Another one of my favorite characters. Considering all the despicable people in the show/books, it's amazing I have a few. I love Tyrion and it's almost like the role was created with Peter Dinklage in mind. He has such chemistry with all the characters and shows so much development throughout the seasons. In fact, I honestly believe his father totally deserved his ending and it was classic Tyrion style. I especially like seeing him and Jaime interact. Jaime really cares for his brother and actually sees what an asset he is to the family. I keep hoping at the end of all, Dany and Jon are ruling the kingdoms with Tyrion at their sides advising. Hey, we all have dreams. I just heard the new season starts in June or July. Since it's always started in April before, I feel like I'm being tortured. (Guess I kind of strayed off season 1 but to be honest, this show runs all together in my mind and you warn people of spoilers anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyrion starts with all the marks of pure comedy genius when we meet him. Then he gets the emotional and heroic material to work with too so the actor gets to show his full range of skills with this character, which he does beautifully. You just don't feel that this guy is evil enough to be a Lannister! I very much enjoy his interactions with Jaime and Cersei. These are the moments when you see the true nature of Jaime which I really like. I want to see the same three alive at the end but that might be wishful thinking!

      Delete
    2. I know but we can keep wishing huh? BTW, Booker T sent you an email so be on the lookout!

      Delete
  2. I always found it interesting how the Wall asked for help and no one answered (except Stannis of course). Although of all of them Tyrion showed the most latitude in terms of actually listening to the earlier warnings. He and Jeor Mormont had an understanding, and I also look forward to Jon and Tyrion touching base again in the future!

    Tyrion is fascinating because he can be ruthless when he needs to be, but is also more compassionate than most Lannisters. There's a really cool scene in the second book when he's the Hand and has a guy being sent to the Wall "accidentally" thrown overboard. I don't remember if they filmed that or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stannis certainly had his faults and I will take great pleasure in recounting them when I do a post on him but at least he came to the assistance of Castle Black when he was needed. I did like that about him. I can't wait for Jon and Tyrion to meet again!

      Tyrion is one of the characters that I loved seeing develop over the whole series. I have lots I want to say about him but better restrain myself until later posts. I loved seeing the vulnerable side to him and how much his father's words hurts him, yet as you say he can be ruthless when he needs to be. No they didn't film that scene, which is a pity! We don't see boats going to The Wall until Stannis lands there.

      Delete
    2. Ooh a Stannis post! I would definitely look forward to that. Stannis is fascinating to me. He does some truly horrendous things but I kinda like him...?

      Delete
    3. As soon as I finish up the main season one cast and themes I'll be doing posts on the Baratheon brothers, Theon Greyjoy and other major players from season two. It should be fun!

      Delete