Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish in June 2010. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

From now until the TTT official hiatus is over, I'll be continuing on with my own topic choices. This week: Another Ten Popular Authors I just don't like reading! 

As some people ignored my warning on last weeks's post, I'll say it again. I'm not saying these authors are crap, just that I personally don't like them. I'm happy for readers to give their own thoughts on the authors and which books they liked and didn't like but don't start the 'but how can you say you don't like him/her' or 'really? you don't like it?' as comments like this piss me off and you will get called out on it. This is my blog and these are my opinions and whining about what I say will NOT change my opinion of anything except maybe the comment poster. If you can't respect my right to have different tastes from you, don't comment at all!

Shall we proceed? I think so!

1) Chuck Palahniuk
I did like 'Haunted' which amused me when I read it years ago so I bought a pile of others on a whim and I hated every one of them...the plot, the characters, the writing. I really did not like Fight Club and it stopped me ever trying to watch the film! I plan to reread Haunted at some point to see if I still like it or not.

2) Douglas Adams 
Everyone seemed ro rave above how creative and funny Hitchhikers Guide was but when I read it I just didn't get it. I didn't find it funny, I found the characters annoying...I just didn't like anything about it and never went near the author again. I know he's popular but not my thing!

3) Joseph Heller
My dad hated Catch 22 more than any other book on the planet and he laughed when I got it in a charity shop, telling me I'd hate it. And I did. I still rate it as one of the worst books I've ever tried to read but as I say, that's just my opinion of it. I despised the characters so much that I wanted to scream!

4) JR Ward 
Everyone raved about BDB and I liked the sound of it but it wasn't for me at all. I could not be bothered with the gangsta rapper dialogue and soundtrack, the portrayal of the women or the fact that the bad guys smell of baby powder. I could not take the bad guys seriously! I tried four books in the series and gave up on each.I don't think it's awful just not for me.

5) Sherrilyn Kenyon
I read this/JR Ward etc during a PNR spell I had years back before my blog existed but this was one author that I just found rather bland. I never got into her books or bonded with the characters or anything. Couldn't find anything different or original to like.

6) Gregory Maguire 
I so much liked the idea of these books but when I read them I was really disappointed. I felt the characters lacked depth and liking but it was really the plot that annoyed me. Nothing interesting ever seemed to happen and I found it so dull and boring! No I have no plans to ever watch the Musical!

7) Philip Pullman
I liked the polar bears, the daemons, the kids being held hostage and certain characters like Lee but overall I was disappointed. The plot was too choppy, the dust thing I seriously didn't understand a word of, MCs I couldn't be bothered with, plot holes...I just expected so much more and didn't much enjoy the series. I hated books 2 and 3.

8) Alice Sebold
I really hated these books. The characters seemed to be the worst pieces of human filth ever and I hated them all. They were so depressing and grim. I refer only to her fiction work here because I read her biography and it was gripping and so well written. If you get a chance to read it, read Lucky.

9) John Saul 
I got a few of his books through bookcrossing and I didn't like any of them. Some books are slow but these dragged and they were monster sized books to start with. It took an eternity for anything to happen and the plots were so dull. If this is classic horror then you can keep it! 

10) Emily Bronte
When I say I hate the classics it is because I tried them and didn't enjoy them. I hate hearing that this is a doomed romance when it is two demented psychos in a relationship of domestic violence. The staff were so rude so I hated every character and WHAT was Joseph even saying half the time?  Gah, no more classics for me!

22 comments:

  1. Totally on board with Douglas Adams, I just don't get it..? I don't like him.
    Cora | http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books that I'm told are funny are books I never seem to find funny!

      Delete
  2. I am with you on Gregory Maguire books. I tried both Wicked and Son of a Witch and hated them both. I saw the musical and was so happy that it was very different. I actually really ended up enjoying it a lot...but I'm a big musical theater nerd. lol!

    I read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and didn't like that one at all either. I thought it was incredibly depressing.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the odd musical so I'm glad Wicked turned out better on stage for you. Good concept but I just didn't like the book execution of it. I so hated ploughing through The Lovely Bones-that was in the days when I finished more books I didn't like much...now I'd DNF it after a few chapters.

      Delete
  3. Gregory Maguire jumps out at me as the one to agree with. I despised Wicked, finishing it out of spite because my wife loves all thing Oz. She hated it too though. So fake, so wannabe deep. Yuck.

    As for the musical; just as shallow but with a phoney happy ending tagged on. Great music, horrible plotting.

    You are still wrong about Douglas Adams though =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty damn rude to come onto someone's blog and declare that they are 'wrong' for disagreeing with your opinion of an author. I am not wrong about Douglas Adams because my personal opinion of what I like and hate can never be wrong because it is only my personal opinion. You obviously have no respect for other's opinions if you leave comments like that.

      Delete
    2. It is your space so I will respectfully leave if that is what you wish.

      the =) face is meant to add a levity to the comment, making it something different that what the words actually say. In this case it was supposed to imply I while disagree with you on Douglas Adams (obviously), the smiley face was supposed to indicate it was not in a accusatory or disrespectful way; a banter type of comment meant to convey that we can respectfully disagree.

      At no time was it supposed to be disrespectful but I will keep in mind that you found it to be and modify my future comments accordingly. It is a light banter style that I have with many bloggers but of course not every friendship has the same rules.

      In the future I will keep this conversation in mind and modify my style accordingly. Assuming you continue to allow my to browse the site I do enjoy talking books and following all the diverse blogs around the internet.

      Delete
    3. It was the use of =)that has caused a silly misunderstanding. Users like myself who don't bother with social media and smartphones etc are unaware that this is meant to be a punctuation version of a smiley face-for me it looks nothing like a smiley face, so I wrongly took offence at the comment. Knowing now that it WAS meant as fun banter, I withdraw all my comments and say I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and I will know what =) means in future so keep using it. You've done nothing wrong here and yes you are still very much welcome at the blog and please do not feel you have to be guarded in what you say! As long as it is clear you are having a bit of fun that's ok! As I said it was a misunderstanding of your intent and not your actions that caused this and as far as I'm concerned the matter is dropped. Sorry for the upset caused to you and I do hope to see you around the Book Cave.

      Delete
    4. I appreciate that and i think we will always get along just fine. You do not need to apologize, I came in with the bantering style before we really got to know each other and my apology stands; i never meant to give offense.

      All that out of the way, back to talking books! Glad we understand each other and I look forward to continuing to read your great blog.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for being so gracious Nathan and I'm so pleased to see that you're going to stick around! I'm glad we've sorted that out and can get back to booky fun! It's never a dull moment here...!

      Delete
  4. So I'm with you on Gregory McQuire. I keep thinking I'll give his books another chance, because I really WANT to like them, but them I remembered the torturous read that was The Wicked and stop everytime. I also doubt I will ever venture into any Pullman books because I'm pretty much OK with just having watched The Golden Compass - nice pretty polar bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but when I read the books Lee was my favourite character and I remember thinking 'Sam Elliot would be perfect in this part!' And of course who did they cast? I wasn't a huge fan of the film but I do love the cool polar bears!

      Delete
  5. I only actually got into Wicked from the musical soundtrack -- the book itself didn't work for me. I might, ah, like belting out the songs from the soundtrack a bit too much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that every time I watch the dvd of Mamma Mia! Belting out the songs really brightens the mood and makes you feel good!

      Delete
  6. HA! don't get mad a me chuckles but your introduction made me smile BIG "comments like this piss me off and you will get called out on it." I think you are right so I will proceed with caution from now on ;-)

    Soooooo here I go... I HATED BDB hate hate hate it! WHO ON EARTH NAMES CHARACTERS LIKE THAT??? I couldn't pass the second character name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both weeks I've warned people not to wind me up and both weeks someone did! At least it weeds out those with no respect for others so it was useful! I find it crazy that I have to warn people to behave on my blog...I feel like a cranky headteacher!

      BDB...I didn't have a great time with these and for once it wasn't it being PNR that annoyed me!

      Delete
  7. I've had problems with Douglas Adams too, I WANT to like Hitchhiker's Guide but I got bored. Which I was kinda afraid to admit. :) The rest of these I don't know although I've heard of several of them. It's hard when everyone loves a certain author and you're like, um, I don't?!? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad when we're afraid to admit what we think in case others have a go at us! I used to be bothered by people liking me and keeping quiet when I disagree but now I just don't seem to care. I am Chuckles Hear Me Roar! *sniggers* It's fun when you find others who didn't like the pooular authors...like we're in a weird little book cult of haters...

      Delete
  8. I actually enjoy Chuck Palahniuk, but man, he's a good example of an author I can only take in small doses. His writing style is practically the same in every single book, and after a while it can really grate on my nerves.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it strange that I enjoyed Haunted then hated everything I read after by the author. That was disappointing to me! Still, each book even by an author you like is a new adventure and you don't know how you'll react to it.

      Delete
  9. I loved Catch 22 when I first read it in high school. I thought it was both hilarious and intense. But then I tried to read it again a few years ago and ended up DNFing. Not even on purpose, but it was just meandering with a bunch of random things but seemingly no real plot and eventually I put it down and just never picked it back up.

    I've heard about BDB (obviously because who hasn't), and I love vampires, but those have never seemed like my kinda books. Too alpha male-y for me, I suspect.

    I have two Sherrilyn Kenyon books from a prize pack giveaway, I think, but they're later in a series and I don't have any of the previous books, so... Haven't read them lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how book tastes can change like that. That's one of the reasons I'd love to have time to reread some books I loved to see if I still feel the same about them. I'd probably get a shock. I used to be more tolerant of slow plot and bad characters but I think a few of those liked books might get a different review now! I liked the idea of the BDB...brothers with different stories but all the rap and baby powder just wasn't for me!

      Delete