Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Female Heroines

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists! http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. 
 
This is my first official week as a member of this meme so hi everyone! *waves* Here are my list of top females from my books read so far.

1) Cat Crawfield-Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
Cat is half human, half vampire, brought up to hate and hunt nightcrawlers until she falls in love with one. She is smart, sexy, witty and kickass! She also has a very hot guy in Bones, who reminds me of Spike from Buffy. Top female! 
 
2) Zoey Donovan-Monster Haven series by RL Naquin 
Zoey is an empath wedding planner with a Closet Monster roomie. She is clumsy, awkward, embarrassing, kind, helpful and always in danger.  Her new job is to look after displaced, injured and needy monsters of all species while dealing with a clingy asshat ex husband. I love this series for its humour and action, and Zoey is a really great character.
 
3) Ellen Ripley-Alien series by Alan Dean Foster
Ripley is the original female kickass heroine. She is an intelligent, high ranked female on a spaceship. She is tough, a single mother (at least no man is ever mentioned in the films), brave and resourceful, outlasting even the toughest marines. Ripley can do anything a man can do yet retains her feminine side. We need more characters like her in fiction and film!
 
4) Hermione Granger-Harry Potter by JK Rowling 
Hermione is the perfect example of a modern heroine, one who is smarter than all the guys, brave and very capable. She starts as an outsider, disliked for her brains but her loyalty to her friends wins people over. If the apocalypse is coming, you want Hermione on your side! 
 
5) Katniss Everdeen-Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Katniss looks after her sister when her father dies and mother sinks into chronic depression. She takes her sister's place in the brutal Hunger Games where it is kill or be killed, yet she is still able to keep her humanity and love. She is kickass but you can relate to her.
 
6) Pam Ravenscroft-Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Pam is brilliant! She is sarcastic and funny, tough and super-strong, loyal to her friends and will kill anyone who threatens her or those she cares about. I loved Pam in this series and wish we could have seen more of her. 

7) Mercy Thompson-Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
Mercy is a great character-she is a shapeshifting coyote mechanic, surrounded by tough men and dangerous women. She was brought up by werewolves and can hold her own against them but she is also very much human. I love her and all her complicated relationships with fae, shifters, pack and vampires!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2049893.Moon_Called

8) Elena Michaels-Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong
Elena is turned into a werewolf against her will and has to deal with the betrayal of her soulmate Clay, finding her way as a wolf and trying to work amongst humans and other supernaturals to keep her Pack safe. She is tough and feisty and a great character.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/910153.Bitten

9) Gin Blanco-Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep
Gin is an assassin, a stone elemental and has ice magic which makes her pretty dangerous. But despite killing people for a living she is loyal to her friends, has a sense of humour and you do like her. Very kickass!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6611038-spider-s-bite 

10) Helena Drake-Drake Chronicles by Alyxandra Harvey
Helena is the Vampire Queen, mother of seven boys and a girl-all vampires, and is the scariest one of them all. She proves a woman really can do it all!  
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6707693-my-love-lies-bleeding 

16 comments:

  1. I very nearly put Hermione on my list too. She's an amazing heroine! :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and welcome to TTT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be here! I wanted to join for a while as some of the topics looked really great but I never seemed to find time. Now, I'm less chaotic so I'm getting more time for fun stuff!

      Delete
  2. Man, I still need to read Jennifer Estep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still only read that first book in the series but I loved Gin from page one. I really hope I love the rest of the series!

      Delete
  3. Amazing list and so many strong women. A lot of these characters are new to me, but I can see why they would make your list. Katniss is such a strong heroine! I love Pam, she's my favourite female character from that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd want Pam as your best pal-nobody would ever bully you that's for sure! I do like these kickass heroines in my books but it's nice when they still have human emotions you can relate to.

      Delete
  4. Great list! Katniss and Hermione made my list as well because they're two of my favorite heroines! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to have such a wide range of wicked female heroines in books now instead of just being 'the girlfriend' or 'the wife'. Role models for young girls for sure! Well maybe not Pam....

      Delete
  5. I love how many lists have Hermonie - including my own! Shows how a smart, strong girl is such a great role model!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one of the reasons I loved Harry Potter-the heroes are two 'ginger' kids, the boy with the glasses, the fat boy, the teacher's pet and the weird girl. Love it!

      Delete
  6. I know of a few of these ladies. And I've heard of many of the others. :D THanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I LOVE Cat! She is definitely at the top of my favorite heroines list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep she is so cool AND she has Bones *sigh*

      Delete
  8. Ripley really is the heroine that started it all wasn't she. I remember seeing Alien for the first time and was completely in awe. I have no doubt she paved the way fro characters such as Katniss. Hermione is one of my favourite characters, she's unassuming but intelligent and doesn't need to go in all guns blazing. Awesome list Chuckles, really enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching her in the Alien films! She is just really brave, resourceful and kickass!

      Delete