Monday, 16 February 2015

Reading with Chuckles #25



Welcome to Reading with Chuckles! This is where I fill you in on what I'm reading each week-what it is, where I got it or heard about it, what I think of it, if I'm continuing with it or abandoning it and any special offers I'm aware of where you can try the book yourself. Comments are welcome but no spoilers please! It's not fair to other readers!

Another good reading week has passed despite a viral infection trying to spoil things for me! It was nothing serious just enough to make me tired and grumpy but I still got the reading finished. I read 5 Harry Potter shorts that appeared on Pottermore, 7 books and 2 short stories, and abandoned 4 books. All good news for the tbr! I'm just about to hit my February target of getting it down to 550 books to read. I hope to hit 500 by the end of March if all goes really well.

So what did I think of the books? I loved the artwork for Fungus and the bits where he scares people are funny but overall it felt like one big info dump that kept getting in the way of the story. Not greatly impressed. Marco seemed to be less about the chef and more about what the food critics write about his food-not exactly exciting. Desert Children spent most of its time blaming the west for FGM still existing which really hacked me off. Boggy Creek and Murder of Crows were average and 100 Bigfoot nights was ok but lacked anything really scary. Til death was a very average free zombie short story but I enjoyed Voyage of the dead a lot better. Book of the week, however was the excellent dystopian The Testing. Fans of The Hunger Games may well like this one as much as I did.




ABANDONED BOOKS:
Countdown had the usual I-hate-you instaluv plotline that fries my last nerve and copies aspects from at least four different films so there was nothing original in it. Dustlands #1 had an obnoxious MC and I disliked the writing style, Realm Walker had a dreadful love triangle with a complete asshat in it and Raising Hell had more f bombs than a Foul Mouthed Git Convention. 





2 comments:

  1. I was extra tired today. I'm hoping I'm not coming down with something, although usually when I do I spend the day in bed reading... Hmm, maybe I should hope I'm coming down with something. ;) Sorry to hear you had a few abandoned books. Hope this week is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too worried about getting a pile of abandoned books-they still come off the tbr and it is fewer series to catch up on! Always a silver lining...hope you feel better soon!

      Delete