Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Book Review: Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong (WOTO #10)


Being the world’s only female werewolf has its advantages, such as having her pick of the Otherworld’s most desirable males. And Elena Michaels couldn’t have picked a more dangerously sexy and undyingly loyal mate than Clayton Danvers. Now their bond will be put to the ultimate test as they follow a bloody trail of gruesome slayings deep into Alaska’s frozen wilderness.

There’s nothing the werewolf community dislikes more than calling attention to itself. So when a pair of rogue man-eaters begins hunting humans, it’s up to Elena and Clayton to track down the predators. But any illusions their task would be simple are quickly dispelled. For even in werewolf terms, there’s something very disturbing taking place in the dark Alaskan forests. A werewolf more wolf than human and more unnatural than supernatural is on the hunt—a creature whose origins seem to spring from ancient legends of the shape-shifting Wendigo.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, Clayton and Elena find themselves confronting painful ghosts from their pasts — and an issue neither of them is eager to discuss. For one of them has been chosen to become the new Pack leader, and as every wolf knows, there can be only one Alpha. They’ve always been equals in everything. Now, when their survival depends more than ever on perfect teamwork, will instinct allow one of them to lead...and the other to follow?


My Review:
Elena has been tracking a young mutt in need of pack protection but he does not want to be found. When he turns up in Alaska it gives the Pack the ideal chance to nose into possible werewolf kills and get in touch with former pack members who chose to go rogue when Jeremy took control. Elena and Clay realise that the three objectives might well be linked. So they have to find Reece and protect him, track the wolf kills and find Clay's friends, while watching out for something much more dangerous out in the wild...

Yea! At last we are back to the werewolves! They are why I started reading this series in the first place and I know I better enjoy this one because we have 3 books focused on whiny brat Savannah to come and I just don't like her at all. She's fine for bit parts in books but carrying the story alone? Not so much. Having Elena back to tell the story after Hope and especially Robyn was a total joy and I loved every minute of this book. It was well written and fast paced, and I zoomed through it in one night.

So Elena is one of my top heroines. She is a 'wife' and mother, a high ranking Pack member, intelligent investigator and someone you can actually like. She is more human than Clay and fully trusted by Jeremy. Clay has greatly evolved from the cold, uncaring character in Bitten. Having the kids and having an injury that impedes his fighting ability has him more vulnerable than ever before, and I liked seeing that side to him. He is actually afraid that he might not be able to protect Elena, Jeremy and the kids and is wondering what he can do about it. He doesn't want to go back to torture and kill version of Clay but feels that he might have to do it. Jeremy is settled in his relationship with Jaime and starting to think about handing over control of the Pack to someone else so he can have a more relaxed life. He always was a reluctant leader anyway so this seems like a natural progression for him.

We get a few other characters appearing in this book as well. It was good to find out what happened to Dennis and Joey, and it was good to explore Clay's conflicted feelings about seeing his old friend again. Joey is frantic with worry about the missing Noah and is prepared to use Clay and Elena to find his son. Nick and Antonio never appear enough for my liking so it was great to see them in the plot again. I love both of these guys. We are also introduced to the runaway rogue Reece, Joey's son Noah and a cast of seriously bad guys. And those twins, especially Kate, are going to be big trouble! It was weird to imagine Jeremy trying to babysit those little monsters!

Travis is just plain evil and he is totally obsessed with the idea of capturing and raping Elena. When she comes into contact with him, Elena gets terrible flashbacks back to her abusive past, and the fear comes with it. Having Elena feeling frozen with fear, and Clay not always able to help her because of his arm adds a vulnerable side to the whole relationship. You know that the bad guys have more of a chance to win this time which is unsettling to poor readers like me! Don't hurt my darn werewolves!!!

I liked the plot. The bad guys this time feel more of a threat and our couple are in danger a lot more. It explores the human emotions of the werewolves as situations get out of control. Fear, betrayal, panic, helplessness, anger, the determination not to be a victim-these are things the readers can relate to. I loved the evolution of Clay and Elena, individually, and as a couple. I liked the kidnap plot and the monster in the woods story that just added a different twist to things. I could not get the image of a Sasquatch tribe out of my head when I was reading about the first attack! There was a lot of tension and action in the book, which is just my kind of urban fantasy! It is one of the best books in the series and a fitting tribute to the werewolves.

Now I wish I could get a version with a better cover...


 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

6 comments:

  1. This is one of the few series I can say I am current on. I actually thought it was finished, but she keeps publishing collections of short stories based in this world. I love this series and Elena and Clay are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the werewolves...I wish we had more books in the series featuring the. Imagine a novel with Nick working on a case with Cassandra? Now THAT would have been fun!

      Delete
  2. This was one of my favourite books of the series and while I enjoyed all the books in this series the books about the werewolves are my favourites. The bad guys feel more like a threat in this book indeed and I liked the snowy setting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame that this was like the final fling for the werewolves. I know they appear in books 12 and 13 but they are really used in a great way. I'll miss the Pack!

      Delete
  3. All I have to say is I need to get to reading the first 10 books of this series. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wolves rule! I hope you enjoy their adventures!

      Delete