Thursday, 18 February 2016

Book Review: Escaping the Dead by WJ Lundy (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot #1)

The radio goes quiet while on convoy in Afghanistan, a lost patrol alone in the desert.

With his unit and his home base destroyed, Staff Sergeant Brad Thompson suddenly finds himself isolated and in command of a small group of men trying to survive in the Afghan wasteland.

The local population has been afflicted with an illness that turns them into rabid animals. They pursue him and his men at every corner and stop.

Struggling to hold his team together and unite survivors, he must fight and evade his way to safety.


My Review:
A team of American soldiers on patrol in Afghanistan are attacked by a mob of crazed civilians injected with a rage virus that makes them hard to kill. As they lose colleagues, they decide to head to the border for help, only to find it overrun with crazed people. Now they need to find a way to defend themselves and stay alive.

This was a decent enough story. It was well written and there was nothing really wrong with it. It just lacked the excitement of the kind of 'zombie' books that I like, where ordinary people or preppers take on the zombies and venture out for supplies or roadtrips. I don't find these military ones as interesting, with the focus more on weapons, tactics and equipment. Still, I knew what kind of book it was when I chose to download it so I can't complain.

As I said, decent enough book and if you like military zombie type books you'll probably like this one.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

3 comments:

  1. As much as I enjoy zombies, military reads aren't for me. I can only sometimes watch movies with a military/war theme. Glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for me soldiers with unlimited firepower and deadly accuracy are not as interesting as civilians trying to survive the zombies. I have read a few decent military based ones so I don't avoid them but I prefer other zombie plots!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the review. I enjoyed your take on it.

      WJL

      Delete