Thursday, 18 February 2016

Book Review: The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling


A BIG NOVEL ABOUT A SMALL TOWN ...

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty fa├žade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils ... Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?


My Review:
I basically read this because I was curious about what kind of adult books JK Rowling would write, as I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan! I have an interest in politics as well so I thought the story might be interesting though I was worried that it might turn into a crime novel/mystery with the death of a character being mentioned. I'd avoided all reviews so I wouldn't get any plot hints and the book sat on my shelf for ages while I wondered about reading it.

So I finally started reading and to be honest I hated it from page one. I don't think there was anything wrong with the writing or the way it was put together. I just felt it lacked everything that made Harry Potter work for adults-warmth, humour, strong plot and great characters. I can't really comment much on plot as I didn't get far but I can say that I found every character to be rude, obnoxious, dreadful and/or unsympathetic. I struggle with books that have a dreadful MC and often stop reading them. Here I was confronted with the worst possible ensemble where I hated everyone.

Sorry but this did nothing for me on any level and I won't be experimenting with any more of her adult books as I don't like crime novels either. Still, I have my Harry Potter re-reads to keep me happy!
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I was considering to buy this one as I enjoyed HP, but I heard lots of not so good things about it and decided to not buy it. My mom tried to read it and I think she DNF'd it eventually. It's hard to enjoy a book when you hate everyone. I am sorry this one didn't work for you. Harry Potter re-reads sound like a much better alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I got this free from a friend who didn't like it. The characters are just all so horrible! I don't get it!

      Delete
  2. What a shame she can't convert the magic of her writing in HP to something else, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the characters might have been satire or something but they weren't entertaining to read about, just idiots! Yeah I'll stick with Harry!

      Delete