Monday, 29 February 2016

Book Review: The Deadliest Bite by Jennifer Rardin (Jaz Parks #8)


I have two choices. Carve Brude's name into Hell's bile-encrusted gates. Or lose my soul.

After an assassination attempt on Vayl, I find myself pulled into a tangled web that takes the gang to Romania. So how will I save a ghost, rescue a demon, and cheat the Great Taker out of a soul he's slavering for while defeating my nastiest foe yet so that Vayl can, at last, cherish a few precious years with his sons? With careful planning, major violence, and one (hopefully) final trip to Hell.


My Review:
So to the final book of the series. I have to admit that overall I'm pleased that it has come to an end as it was very hit and miss in places. This book was much better than the previous book which was a major relief. There is nothing worse than sticking with a series to the end and it going out like a damp squib!

Vayl and Jaz are trying to have a fun filled vacation which of course is ruined by the attempted assassination of Vayl by a young assassin. Cassandra thinks that Aaron is the reincarnated soul of one of Vayl's sons and thinks that they need to identify the other quickly in case that is another assassin. When they discover that Vayl's other son is about to be killed in a bike stunt gone wrong, they need to intervene and stop him being sent to hell. Only then can they concentrate on saving Jaz who only has days left before she is doomed.

I'm pretty sick by now of the saga of Vayl's bloody sons. It has contributed nothing to the overall plot of the series and proves to be a distraction from more interesting plots. Thankfully, I was able to put up with it here knowing that there will be a resolution to it in some way. Cole is still suffering the after effects of his demon possession but is cheered to know that his soulmate will be the niece of Jaz. OK that seemed a bit Twilight book 4 plot alert to me and I'm not greatly convinced by the idea. Mind you at least he is no longer obsessing about Jaz. Took long enough for it to sink in.

The star of this book is Bergman! He gets to show real bravery in the face of evil and it was so great to see him get that moment of glory. He is the only smart enough to notice, like me, that Cassandra is pregnant. Everyone else must be pretty dumb not to have spotted it because it was so obvious! Jack is totally brilliant as usual and should get his own spin off series! I also quite liked Helena's story which had a group wrap up.

It is a complex plot which has everyone getting ready for a trip to hell so that Jaz can carve Brude's name into Hell's gate to escape a grim fate and lose her soul. It was an interesting plot with plenty of action and tension as they have several things to overcome. It was a decent end to the series and everything was solved in a pretty satisfactory manner. I did enjoy a lot of the series but at times I just wanted more from it. At least it was finished well which was the main thing.  


Read January 2015
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

2 comments:

  1. Seems like you are enjoying this series. I think I have the first one somewhere on my shelf at home. Several years ago a friend recommended them to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the last few books in the series in January 2015 and have just got round to reviewing it! For the most part I liked the series though three of the books were of a lesser standard. I do recommend it as I loved the first two books.

      Delete