Friday, 19 February 2016

Book Review: The Dead and Empty World by Carrie Ryan


From a life raft cast adrift in the middle of the ocean to the attic of a suburban garage; from the heart-pounding moments just after the dead begin to rise, to the ravaged world generations later, the five stories in The Dead and Empty World present a chilling portrait of what it takes to survive – or not – the zombie apocalypse.

My Review:
I enjoyed The Forest of Hands and Teeth and I wanted to read this because it dealt with other people trying to survive the same zombie apocalypse. This, however, was a very disappointing anthology and it has put me right off looking at any other short stories that the author has done. Unless I see them free, I'm not buying!

***This review contains complete spoilers for each story except Hare Moon***

Flotsam and Jetsam
The zombie outbreak hits a cruise ship and two young men are in a life raft. Jeremy has been bitten and wants Guy to prevent him turning. Guy is a moron who obviously isn't eveen TRYING to survive and he has no interest in protecting other people from his selfish behaviour! First, instead of letting Jeremy drown and paddling the raft to the nearby islands they were cruising, they hang about the ship for days until it sinks. Now they are hungry and thirsty with no energy. Smart. When Jeremy rises from the dead, Guy decides to keep him tied up as company then he lets Jeremy bite him just before land is sighted and they both take the infection onto the island. Selfish moron. Guy is an idiot and it wasn't a great story.

Scenic Route
Margie and Sally find an intruder at the cabin they are hiding in. So they invite him to join them as Margie finds Calvin attractive and, big surprise, he betrays them to his armed violent brothers. He just stands there as the men try to kill Margie and it is Sally who kills one of their attackers while dumbass stands there like a big lemon. Finally at the last minute he decides to shoot the other brother. So does Margie kill him for causing all the trouble and nearly getting them killed? No, she invites him on their road trip. Stupid bitch will never survive the apocalypse with a guy who cannot be trusted!

Bougainvillea
This was rubbish. Zombie story with very little zombie interest, pirates and an obnoxious female MC with the brains of a plank of wood. Thanks to her, the safe island gets invaded by zombies and pirates.

A game of firsts
Julie and Danny live in a gated community. Instead of taking the chance to gather supplies BEFORE the zombies break in, they get drunk and play a stupid game of firsts. They are slow to move to a safe place but don't strip the house of everything they might need. They don't think about gathering supplies from nearby houses or an escape plan until they are surrounded by zombies and it is too late. Dumb idiots.

Hare Moon
The only good story-and I've already reviewed it on Goodreads. I'm not counting it in the anthology which is why the other four stories are getting one star between them.

star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed The Forest of Hands and Teeth. That book bored me to death and I basically only finished it because I have difficulty DNF'ing books. Sorry this one didn't work out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing about Forest is if I go back to read it again, I might not like it as I have less patience these days for books that are slow getting into the story. I sort of need to reread it so I can finally finish the trilogy. Might tackle that next week I think.

      Delete
  2. Crap, I enjoyed the main series, I hate it when a world is expanded and the result is meh. Will avoid this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been disappointed by everything else she has written except Hare Moon, which I liked. I was going to read the rest of the Forest trilogy but when I read the reviews it seemed to be teen romance and love triangles with few zombies so I decided not to bother!

      Delete