Friday, 31 July 2015

Book Review: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #8)


An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam's ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from her new boyfriend. Adam won't turn away a person in need, but with Christy holed up in Adam's house, Mercy can't shake the feeling that something isn't right.

Soon, Mercy learns that Christy has the farthest thing from good intentions. She wants Adam back and will anything to get him, including turning Adam's pack against Mercy.

On top of this, there's an even more dangerous threat circling. Christy's ex is more than a bad man - in fact, he may not be human at all. As the bodies pile up, Mercy must put her personal troubles aside to face a creature with the power to tear her world apart.


My Review:
Mercy has to grit her teeth when Adam's ex wife Christy begs him for help in dealing with a psycho stalker, watching Christy move in to the house and start taking over. To make matters worse, most of the Pack take Christy's side against Mercy, and the stalker turns out to be a dangerous supernatural creature instead of a jealous ex.

OK, firstly Christy. She needs to be bitch slapped NOW. I hate the bloody bitch! Yes I know we are supposed to hate her but she made my blood boil. Taking over the kitchen, calling Adam by pet names, remembering the good times they had together, manipulating the pack to turn against Mercy and her determination to get Adam back. She really is a piece of work and the information about her stalker that she keeps to herself puts everyone in danger. What the heck did Adam see in this brainless, vain, self obsessed bimbo from hell???

Adam was a weak assed so called leader in this book and he was getting on my nerves. He just let Christy do what she wanted without bothering to lay down any house rules about her behaviour. Even worse, he just sat there and let the Pack disrespect Mercy. What is it with the Pack? What exactly does Mercy have to do to prove herself worthy of them? She spends most of her time looking after them and trying to save them when they get into trouble yet they take the side of the woman who abandoned her husband, daughter AND the Pack??? Ungrateful bunch of sods. Next time I hope she leaves their asses hanging in the breeze!

The action in this book was very good. Christy's ex turns out to be Teide from Tenerife the Volcano God, and he wants his woman back from Adam, who he thinks stole her. There are several great scenes ie the garage fight, which was inventive and exciting. Poor Mercy is put through the wringer physically and emotionally in this book and I enjoyed her suffering in a twisted reader kind of way! I also found myself liking Honey more and more as a character, and the introduction of Gary was fun as well. Coyote annoys me something bad but he does have his uses I guess!

Favourite part of the book? Christy goes Smurf! *snigger* This was just brilliant and I loved seeing her get a bit of her own medicine. So this overall was an enjoyable book and now comes the agony of waiting for the next one... 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

2 comments:

  1. I love this series and this is the only one I have left to read. I hope to get it read before the next one comes out. I hate that Briggs goes so long between books, but they always seem worth the wait. Great review and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this series so much! The range of characters in the pack is always interesting, and the plots are exciting. I cannot wait until March for the next one! Mind you the anthology will help me survive until then...

      Delete