Friday, 17 July 2015

Book Review: Percy Jackson & The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan (Olympians #3)


IT'S NOT EVERYDAY YOU FIND YOURSELF IN COMBAT WITH A HALF-LION, HALF-HUMAN.

But when you're the son of a Greek god, it happens. And now my friend Annabeth is missing, a goddess is in chains and only five half-blood heroes can join the quest to defeat the doomsday monster.

Oh, and guess what? The Oracle has predicted that not all of us will survive...


My Review:
Percy, Annabeth and Thalia go on a mission to help Grover retrieve two halfbloods from a military school. The intervention of Artemis and her hunters leads to Annabeth being captured, and Mr D does not want anybody out searching for them. Then Artemis goes missing and a quest is about to begin.

This book again had good ideas, nice interaction between Gods and demigods and a good weave of Greek mythology. The actual story was fine and could have been really great but the spoiled brats that are our main characters bugged me way too much.

Firstly Zoe and the hunters. Their 'we hate boys they smell' attitude reminds me of five year old girls in the school playground and I got bored with that after a few chapters. Zoe bitches constantly at Percy and Grover. Zoe bitches at Thalia. Thalia bitches at Zoe. Clarisse bitches at everyone. It was a bitchfest from Hell School and frankly if I want to see that all day, I'll watch the local kids out playing. It was not entertaining for me and it was just dull.

Then we had Bianca and Niko, the rescued half blood kids. Bianca decides to abandon Niko to join the hunters which he is naturally upset about. However, Niko is a whiny and annoying brat so you can't really blame Bianca for taking a chance to ditch him. But seriously, how in the hell can Bianca be selected for a mission when she has had no training? This is just utter madness. You might as well put a sign round her neck saying 'monster bait'. And for the son of a God to be as dumb as Percy continues to be...well it was frustrating.

It's not a bad book. In fact had there been less of the petty fights, this book had the potential to be the best in the series, and I'll be interested if they do a film of it. I really liked the Atlas story and the rest of the monsters were entertaining as they always are. I just couldn't fully enjoy it because of the niggles I've already mentioned.


Overall the storytelling and plot were worthy of three stars but shouting insults at the characters every page for being dumb or getting into pointless arguments wore me down. Having a friend tell me that the next book has whiny Niko blaming Percy for everything bad in his life and Percy and Annabeth are constantly fighting about Luke brought me to the decision that I'm fed up with dumb kids and their bitching and whining. So it is sadly farewell to Percy Jackson for me, which is a shame when the Greek mythology plots are so interesting!

star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

4 comments:

  1. It seems everybody raves about this series so it's kind of nice to see another take on it. Sorry you didn't enjoy it though,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most younger YA readers will enjoy the series, and readers who don't mind MCs who bitch and argue all the time will like this too. I just can't be bothered with whiny kids!

      Delete
  2. Ugh. Sounds like they are taking steps backward in growing up. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I felt. I'm sure I wasn't that whiny at that age!

      Delete