Thursday, 23 July 2015

Book Review: Up From The Grave by Jeaniene Frost (Night Huntress #7)


Lately, life has been unnaturally calm for vampires Cat Crawfield and her husband Bones. They should have known better than to relax their guard, because a shocking revelation sends them back into action to stop an all-out war…

A rogue CIA agent is involved in horrifying secret activities that threaten to raise tensions between humans and the undead to dangerous heights. Now Cat and Bones are in a race against time to save their friends from a fate worse than death… because the more secrets they unravel, the deadlier the consequences. And if they fail, their lives—and those of everyone they hold dear — will be hovering on the edge of the grave
.


My Review:
When Don tells Cat that the team are missing, Jason claims that they are dead and cremated. Don's reluctant admission that they worked on genetic crossbreeds together sickens Cat and infuriates Marie. Knowing that Jason wanted to breed hybrids from her DNA causes new worries for the team and they try to find Jason's complex.

Ooh, the truth is finally out there! It was pretty horrifying to hear what Don and Jason were trying in the labs and that the final fall out came when Don wanted no part in breeding from Cat. It's understandable why Cat is so angry and betrayed by Don's actions here. If he hadn't already been a ghost I think Bones might have killed him. As the book progresses, Cat is about to get another shock.

The character that most bugs me in this series is Tate. So why the heck did the author have to pick him to be part of the very shocking twist that knocks Cat and Bones for six??? I'm not saying any more in case those reading this have yet to read the book...but Tate??? Are you serious? You can't have him STILL trailing around after Cat with a legitimate excuse to be there and expect it to have no impact on Cat's relationship with Bones! That was the part of the book that I really didn't like and I don't feel that Cat really needed this to happen to her. Not my favourite plot in the series, that's for sure.

Favourite bits? Mencheres and his street talk was very funny...'You are the shit' *snigger* I loved this scene. Ian just being Ian. The whole drama taking place inside the complex as escape is planned and executed. Jason's reward for all his hard work. We get a resolution to bring the series to an end.

Can we have Ian and Annette as a couple in an Ian spin off book? I so want to see more of both of them and I just can't see Ian settling for a human female.  Overall I loved this series-the action, the plots, the humour, the range of characters. And although I'm not a fan of sex filled paranormal romance, I did like the Cat and Bones relationship a lot. I'm a bit sad to see the series finish so soon but at least the standard kept up to the end.
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm going to live through you with this series. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly one of my favourite urban fantasy series and I plan many rereads!

      Delete