Thursday, 9 July 2015

Book Review: Trance by Kelly Meding (MetaWars #1)


Kelly Meding’s war-ravaged Los Angeles is ground zero for the ultimate Meta human showdown in this sexy, action-packed new series.

Fifteen years ago, Teresa “Trance” West was a skilled telepath and a proud member of the Ranger Corps. But ever since the Rangers were inexplicably rendered powerless at the climax of the devastating Meta War, she’s bounced from one dead-end job to another. Now her powers have reappeared just as mysteriously as they vanished— only they’re completely transformed and more potent than ever. And they’re threatening to destroy her.

Trance heads to Los Angeles to track down the surviving Rangers and discover who restored her powers—and why—but a phantom enemy is determined to kill them before they can reassemble. As they dodge his deadly attacks and come to terms with their new role as heroes, Trance and the rest of the team set out to annihilate the sinister madman... only to discover their own powers are his greatest weapons.


My Review:
During the Meta Wars, the Ranger Corps fought to save the world from destruction by the evil Banes, and the war halted when both sides lost their superpowers. Survivors went to hide amongst the human population and keep their status secret. 15 years later, the powers awaken in them and the Banes start looking for their enemy to finish them off. The young and untrained need to band together if they are to have any hope of survival. But can they find each other before the Banes pick them of?

I read the first book in Kelly Meding's Dreg City and loved it because it was an exciting urban fantasy world. I wasn't as sure about picking up this series, despite the gorgeous cover, as it sounded more sci-fi than my tastes. While I liked the X Men films, I don't read superhero type novels so I admit that I did struggle with this one, as I expected.

I didn't really like Trance very much. For a 25 year old she was very immature, rude and childish. I just don't see how she could have been chosen to lead the fightback when she refuses to follow instructions, chooses not to obey even the simplest of requests and acts like a five year old. I just can't see her as anything other than the stroppy teenager that she chooses to behave like as opposed to a leader who will turn the group into a powerful force for good. Their leader should be intelligent, calm and experienced. With Trance in charge, the world may already be doomed! I'm also not feeling chemistry of any kind between the characters even as friends. They just don't seem to gel.

My other bug bear with the book is the confusion of names. One minute Trance is calling people by their human names ie William, Gage, Renee and a paragraph later she is calling them by their hero names of Caliber, Cipher, Flex etc which gets very confusing for those like me who haven't got the greatest of memories. It would have been much easier just to stick with the superhero names and save all the confusion.

There is a lot of information to absorb and I felt at times that it was too dense. There is plenty talk and dumb behaviour but it lacked the interest or action that I was hoping to find in it. I won't be reading on in this series but I'll happily read anything urban fantasy by the author like Dreg City.
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

3 comments:

  1. Darn. I was thinking of reading this, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let my opinion put you off something you really want to read! I'm very picky about books!

      Delete
  2. This series seemed to not make a big splash in the world. I picked up the first two or three books in print, but I think the last one was only in ebook format because the sales weren't there. I'm still curious to try it out. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete