Wednesday, 22 July 2015

Chuckles TV Catch Up #3

This is my new feature for the summer! I have sooo many great sounding TV shows that I want to watch but because of all my reading, I haven't had time to catch up with any of them! So this summer I'm doing a Chuckles TV catch up where I hope to get a look at some TV, decide what I like and don't like and tell you all my thoughts on everything. Now, my TV watching is very much mood related so I can't predict what I'll want to watch...

It's been a while since I tore myself away from the books long enough to watch some TV but this weekend was a TV only zone at The Book Cave!  

This week: Dracula starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jessica De Gouw, Victoria Smurfit, Oliver Jackson-Cohen

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2296682/?ref_=nv_sr_3
Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

There was a lot to like about this series and a few things that were not so good so I can understand the mixed reviews it got. Dracula is resurrected by Van Helsing so they can team up to get revenge on the cult that murdered their loved ones. I liked the idea of that, giving a twist to the usual story. There are good gory scenes of vampire attacks, the odd good fight scene, excellent acting especially from JRM and his Renfield played by Nonso Anozie...so why am I not raving about it? 

Well, I found the plot very slow in places as we plough through the boring relationship of Harker and Mina, the Van Helsing plot to slowly financially ruin the cult members and the detail of the industrial age companies and society events they all take part in. I found I was rooting for Dracula because I disliked the hunters characters, so I was bored by Dracula having sex with one of them in every episode. This had potential but was too slow to  appeal to me personally. I watched the first three episodes before deciding it wasn't my thing.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one. Sounds like it has an interesting concept to it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been rumours about it being dropped after one season and season two being picked up only by UK TV but I have doubts about that! There were good things about it but too slow for me in the end.

      Delete