Monday, 12 September 2016

Book Review: A Fistful of Evil by Rebecca Chastain


Madison Fox just learned that her ability to see souls is more than a sight: It’s a weapon for fighting evil. The only problem is she doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing.

On the positive side, her money problems are over, she’s possibly discovered her purpose in life, and her coworker is smoking hot. On the negative side, evil creatures now actively hunt her, and deadly experiences are becoming the norm.

When she thinks it couldn’t get worse, a powerful evil sets up shop at a local hotel’s video game convention, and it’s got its eye on more than the gaming geeks: it is hungry for Madison’s soul. Madison needs to become an expert illuminant enforcer overnight to save her job, her region . . . and her life.

My Review: 
As soon as I started this book I knew I wasn't going to like it. The idea that the author had was good, the writing itself is ok but I just can't stand the MC, and as those who read my reviews know, that spells terminal for a book! If I hate the MC, I am unlikely to want to finish the book and that was certainly true in this case.

What can I say about Madison? Well, she is a ditzy, self obsessed idiot who spends all her time drooling over hot guys and turning up her nose at unattractive people. She is a vain and selfish snob who only thinks about herself and I really wanted to push her off a cliff or feed her to a hungry imp or something. She is in need of a job so she decides to lie about her experience and capabilities at her interview with Kyle, not caring that she would never be able to do the actual job, but remember, Madison's need for money trumps what is good for everyone else. Kyle is too smart to be fooled and notes that like him, she has a power which means she could take over his job so he can get a transfer. His job is to keep the area clear of supernatural threats including killing creatures who could hurt people.

Madison of course decides to take the job because she will be earning big money, getting a car and danger money as required. She doesn't actually CARE about doing the job, already planning how to blag her way through it and get paid until she finds something else. She really does only care about herself. She has no experience in how to use her power to kill creatures, no clue what the job entails, no interest in keeping the area safe for others and no plan to even attempt to do the job. This is pathetic and very annoying and I want to give her a good slap. I wanted to slap Kyle as well for getting her to take the job and not caring that she has no idea what she is doing, just so he can move away.

Then we have the man obsession. When she hears her boss is called Brad Pitt, she sits in the waiting room having fantasies about what he looks like. Once in his office she ignores her boss to drool over and have more fantasies about hot guy in the office with him, finally realising she should be paying attention to Mr Pitt instead of acting like an out of control nympho. Of course she doesn't like it that her boss is ugly which makes her shallow as hell. From reading other reviews it seems that all she ever wants to do is be critical of other people especially the way they look, and only hot people are to be bothered with. Pathetic woman. I also note that in other reviews a love triangle is mentioned so I'm glad I'm not reading further. Gag.

I don't think much of her employers either. They don't seem to believe in training of any kind and basically don't even check to see if she can do the job, which they would have discovered by asking her a couple of quick questions. I found the whole plot quite annoying as nobody seemed that interested in helping Madison or telling her much of use.

I lost interest in this quite quickly due to the plot and the useless MC. I'm certainly not continuing with the series but I will try another series by the author.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a few issues with this one. I don't know if I could deal with her being so critical of everyone. Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete