Thursday, 3 September 2015

Beware the mouth of a gift horse...!


Gah! It's been nearly a whole week since my last blog post and it has not been an enjoyable one! I was still feeling sorry for myself over this stupid head cold I've had for about 3 weeks. It's mild as infections go but feeling tired has left with no concentration to read which is annoying!

Then came the hell unleashed. My dad ordered a couple of items from a magazine called Daily Record Offers which came free in the Daily Record newspaper. While on the phone ordering, he was asked to look at a free trial for some kind of money off vouchers thing and he just agreed to it. I wish he had asked me first as I would have told him to say NO because I've read about it online!!! The first I knew about it was when a package arrived welcoming him as a member of easylife rewards club, sent by The Rocket Marketing Group. We were charged £2.99 for just agreeing to receive the welcome pack. It contains money off vouchers and things which some people might find useful I guess but it's when you read the small print that you realise what this is going to cost you.

If you don't cancel during your 21 day trial period you are upgraded to annual membership which costs you £69.99 per year, taken automatically from your bank account. As part of this upgrade "...you will also be offered up to 3 Exclusive Membership Offers at a cost of no more than £20 each. We will notify you of these in advance and they will be automatically charged to you unless you opt out within the 21 days." So if you don't cancel in the 21 day trial period you get charged £69.99 plus three further payments of £20 each...umm, £129.99???? For a few vouchers which might not be for things that interest you? Erk! Still, if you cancel in 21 days, none of this will happen to you...

This is where the problems come. Online there are people who cancelled without a problem but there are a TON of people who tried to cancel and were hit with problems resulting in losing the money from their accounts ie

-we didn't get your cancellation letter
-we didn't get your cancellation request processed within the 21 days
-we didn't get your email
-one person sent their cancellation letter by recorded delivery as soon as he received and read about the fees in the welcome pack and it reached the company in days-but he still got charged because they failed to process his cancellation until the 21 days was up. 

Here are a few examples of various complaints about Rocket Marketing Group tactics:
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=887959 
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=581318
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1144110

So I had to trudge to the bank to tell them what happened and they said the only way to ensure that no more money came off after the 21 day trial was to close the account. My dad had given the company my account details by mistake so this led to having to try and stop a pile of payments from/to companies and contact the benefits agency to suspend payments into that account...that took a whole day to sort plus I cannot access the money in the account, which the bank had transferred to a new account-I'll only be able to access that when I get my new card in which could be a week or more...PLUS I can't get my money from the benefits agency until all this is sorted! Utter chaos! 

We still need to return this welcome pack they sent me at own cost recorded delivery within this 21 days-as they can't get into the bank account, they will try to get it by cheque so we need proof we sent it back with plenty time to spare. That way, if they claim to have had no time to process the cancellation, we have proof to fight them. So that is what I've spent all of yesterday doing. Today I had to take my dad to the doctor because of the stress of it all.

Great bloody week we've had!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds awful. Thank goodness you were on top of it and new what was going on. Hope you have a restful weekend coming up with lots of good TV and books - it's college kickoff season here and I couldn't be more thrilled - football, a good book (I have to multi task) and beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a week to forget, that's for sure! I plan to do my Saturday post then have a few days offline just to read and relax!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I hate things like this -- they try and get my grandma all the time. Good luck getting everything straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sick of the sales calls, marketing calls, silent calls, automated calls, junk mail, scams...ARRGGHH!

      Delete
  3. What an awful thing to happen, something similar happen to the lady I work with. She had signed up for an introductory face cream offer which was £2 and when she signed up the site came up with an error so she thought it wasn't coming. So she was surprised when it came through the post, she was even more surprised when £90 came out her account this week. She couldn't contact them and she has been worried sick, she got it sorted.

    I hate these type of companies, they are scamming so and so's, I hope you and your Dad feel better soon, I can't imagine how stressful it has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeez that's horrific. There is too much of this crap going on these days to rip off ordinary people. It'd be hard to scam me as I'm suspicious of EVERYTHING!

      Delete
  4. Ouch! Getting a headache puts it mildly! Migraine material! They sound like total con artists. I hope everything goes well and you get your money back, it's the last thing you need really, especially being sick! Hopefully by the time I post this (1 week later) you'll have had some good news :)
    Take care,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were actually very lucky...our bank moved very quickly and stopped any chance of them taking money so we only lost £2.99 postage for the welcome pack they sent so we had a lucky escape really!

      Delete