Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Book Review:Blood Moon by Alyxandra Harvey (Drake Chronicles #5)


"I can still smell his blood, Lucy. I can smell it everywhere. It's in the grass, in the air, on me. I'm not safe."

When the vampire tribes convene for the rare Blood Moon ceremonies, Solange Drake is plunged into a battle with her feral nature. The Drake brothers have been raised knowing they had to protect their younger sister at all cost. But forbidden magic and a mysterious stranger have put all of them in terrible danger. 


Nicholas is going to have to make a difficult choice: between his girlfriend, Lucy, and his little sister, Solange - blood or love?


My Review:
After the shocking cliffhanger to the last book, I had high hopes for this one but I found it very disappointing. The standard of the other books was high but there were so many things about this book that I didn't like. Frankly if it hadn't been the second last book in the series I might have even quit during it. This book is narrated by Lucy, Nicholas and Solange.

Solange becomes the royal bitch from hell in this book and I hated her. She was behaving like a spoiled whiny brat, hurting Lucy, breaking all the rules and being cruel to her family. I had suspicions about what was happening but even being proved right about it didn't change my feelings towards her as the damage was done. I think if the author had shown her hand earlier we could have had sympathy for Solange as she struggled not to do bad things, especially with her as a narrator. Instead we don't get the why until I had turned against her and I have never warmed to her again since.

I liked seeing how Lucy fitted in at Helios-Ra, watching her trying to learn to protect herself while having a vampire boyfriend and trying to work out what to do about Solange. I love her character and her narrated chapters were the bext thing about the book by far. I still enjoy the relationship between her and Nicholas who are the best couple in the series.

I wasn't interested at all in the Blood Moon gathering. I don't enjoy it when urban fantasy descends into vampire politics and endless talk about who hates who and diplomatic relations between tribes and their security teams attacking people. I found the whole thing to be long drawn out, boring and tedious. The vampire politics is one of the reasons I lose interest in the Anita Blake books and it had the same effect here. I started to disengage with the book and several of the characters.

I had no interest in Solange and Constantine. I didn't find him interesting in any way as a bad guy, and the scenes between the two were boring in a mind-numbing way. I really wanted to skim every time the story switched to them. I didn't enjoy the whole Viola storyline either.

I would have preferred a more straightforward grab for the crown plot instead of this confused attempt at a storyline which was neither entertaining or exciting. Instead we had a book that was padded out to look bigger but totally lacked the kickass action and intrigue that made the other books so good. Sections of the story were so slow that I considered stopping several times because I was bored. Only Lucy and Nicholas kept me reading.

I really hope the final book in the series dekivers more of a punch than this. 
Book read in January 2015.


star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't hold up for you. Hope you get what you love and answers in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the books just started going in a direction and storyline that I just didn't enjoy, which is a pity.

      Delete