Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Book Review: The Unwashed Dead by Ian Woodhead

In a rundown council estate in the North of England strange things are happening. The dead suddenly are not quite as dead as they should be......

A mysterious government body has decided to use the estate as an experiment. Things are out of control & now they need to eradicate all knowledge & existence of the estate

But what happens when a small group of survivors band together? Will they survive the apocalypse & triumph over the undead?


My Review:
This book is an example of an author who doesn't take the time to think up interesting dialogue and descriptions. Instead he chooses to have totally pointless swearing in every sentence of the book. This is what we get in the space of the first 1.5 pages of the ebook:

-shitty kitchen and effing lino on the floor
-his hosts, who are b******s, not giving two s***s about decorating
-refers to himself as a miserable b*****d (correct!)
-his friend's are all effing retards
-the music gets on his t**s and is a pile of s***e

Swearing in books is ok with me if there is a purpose ie when someone is angry or scared of being chased by fast zombies. But I do not find it entertaining to be bombarded by f bombs and stuff because of lazy writing and no imagination. People might say 'yeah but it's realistic because people talk and think like that'. True but if I want to hear that language all day, I'll go and sit in the city centre and hear it for free. When I read a book, I want to get away from everyday life and be entertained, not feel like it's a Friday night when the pubs have closed.

This was not clever writing or witty dialogue. This was just rubbish and I'm so glad I got this free. If I had paid for it, I would've been really angry. I will NOT be reading anything else by the author based on that standard of writing.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment