Wednesday, 23 September 2015

Book Review: Suicide Forest by Jeremy Bates

Just outside of Tokyo lies Aokigahara, a vast forest and one of the most beautiful wilderness areas in Japan...and also the most infamous spot to commit suicide in the world. Legend has it that the spirits of those many suicides are still roaming, haunting deep in the ancient woods.

When bad weather prevents a group of friends from climbing neighboring Mt. Fuji, they decide to spend the night camping in Aokigahara. But they get more than they bargained for when one of them is found hanged in the morning—and they realize there might be some truth to the legends after all.


My Review:
I didn't like anything about this book. Firstly the plot was so slow that nothing seemed likely to ever happen. It was a bunch of people wandering around a forest and waiting for something to happen. To amuse themselves on this exciting adventure, they fight, swear and plan sexual encounters. Nothing new or original there.

The characters are uninspiring, obnoxious clowns. The young Japanese characters sound like wannabe gangsta rappers with their language. We got n***** this, n***** that and there were more m***********s and fbombs than the entire population of China. It was a swearfest and showed little imagination for witty dialogue or character development. I wanted the idiots to die, which is not a great start to the book. Of course our heroic MC is the usual drugged up waste of space that you expect in books, along with the steriotype rude, brash, obnoxious American guy John. John is a truly dreadful character and I hated him from page one. The girls as usual were all dippy idiots just there for the guys to feast their eyes on and served no other purpose except to whine constantly. You just wanted everyone to die. NOW.

This is basically a cheaply written book with a z movie plot about disrespectful asshats wandering around looking for their brains.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Well darn, I saw that cover and though it would be good, but then read your review and saw not so much. Oh well, glad you reviewed it so I didn't waste my time based on such a neat cover. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't be bothered these days with horrible characters who do nothing but swear and smoke dope! Grrr! I know there's a film about this suicide forest-can't remember what it's called-but I don't think it's connected to this book.

      Delete
  2. Your review makes me glad that I have managed to avoid buying this one for my Kindle - and I know I have considered it on 2 occasions. Thanks for the save!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can grab it free or borrow it, that might be the best idea if you still want to read it. I'm trying to beg and borrow most new books from friends to save money to spend on the really good ones!

      Delete