Monday, 21 September 2015

Pet Peeves #1: The Publisher Promotion!


You've seen it haven't you? The way a publisher tries to persuade you to buy their book by comparing it to something popular. It's either a sticker or a big declaration on the cover that screams out at you 'THE NEW HARRY POTTER!!!' or 'If you LOVED the Hunger Games, you'll LOVE this!' And when you read the blurb, it rarely sounds anything like Harry Potter or The Hunger Games! I can't tell you how annoying I find all this! I get why they do it but how does some publisher know what I'll enjoy based on one book I've loved? Hmmm? Got ESP have you matey? Nope, didn't think so!

Or maybe you see the declaration that this is 'The Hunger Games meets Narnia and Lord of the Rings!' Right so we have hobbits running from killer Orcs in a Game show where you need to find an exit through a wardrobe to win a box of turkish delight? Er, no thanks...!

Seriously, it might encourage people to try the book and there is nothing wrong with that but in the long run you might not be doing the author a favour. I've lost count of how many books claim to be the new Harry Potter, and by putting the comparison in my mind, I am going to be disappointed in it because it can NEVER be as good as Harry Potter! The publisher has made the comparison and many people will judge on how alike they are and might then give it a lower mark, thinking 'that was NOTHING like Harry!' I have read really good children's adventure series like Artemis Fowl and H.I.V.E which are great series in their own right and don't try to be cheap copies of something else. Mr Publisher, if you have confidence in these series, market them as new adventures for kids or YA fans-don't pretend they are something they are not!

Have you had any annoying experiences with publisher's promoting books like this? Do you like or dislike publishers using these comparisons? Do you feel you judged a book on what they said it was going to be rather than on what you actually thought of the book itself? What strange comparisons have you seen?

8 comments:

  1. Seems like "The Next Gone Girl" has been extremely popular this year. And you are right...I don't think they are doing the books or the authors any favors. BTW, don't know if you like tags, but I just nominated you for the TBR tag - check out my blog if you are interested. If not, sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination! It was lots of fun to do this as I like answering questions about my reading habits!

      Delete
  2. I hate that too. i even feel like it's the worst marketing ploy ever. Like comparing something to HP? That's some big shoes to fill so expectations are up there. Harder to meet, easier to disappoint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having to try and ignore this ploy but it sits in the back of my mind and gives me unrealistic expectations sometimes! It put me off reading a lot of kids and YA books because the ones I read seemed to disappoint after the hype!

      Delete
  3. Meh, I take what publishers say with a grain of salt so it doesn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think us readers have to take it with a pinch of salt or we might go crazy!

      Delete
  4. My biggest problem with publishers, they purchase books that are similar to what's hot. They don't take a dive on something different to give the readers. I think publishers think we want the same books over and over again. Well, I don't. I like different mixed in with my similar style books. It does get old seeing those promotions out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it can be difficult to sniff out something new and different in the genres I read! Especially vampires and zombies! I'm lucky that I don't mind the same old plots as long as they are well written but it's nice when you do find something new!

      Delete