Saturday, 12 September 2015

Stacking the Shelves #101


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews
Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress so you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me!

Hi everyone! Last Saturday I posted to say I planned to take a couple of days off blogging to rest and read but instead, as some of you already know, my dad surprised me by taking me on holiday to Blackpool from Sunday to Thursday, which was a bit of a shock! We haven't been away since 2013 so I didn't expect to have to pack in a rush! We had a really great time and the weather was awesome! As well as my dad, I took one of my many children with me! This is Otis with the Big One rollercoaster behind him. Monkey selfie...!


The weather was over 20 degrees every day we were there, except for a stronger breeze on Sunday afternoon. We got a few good pictures so here is one looking down from South Pier towards Blackpool Tower, using the zoom lens.


I only took a few photos of the Pleasure Beach and this was the only one that really came out because of the glare on the screen! I couldn't see what I was taking half the time! This one features the newer Blackpool trams which are great to travel on!


So we had a really great time, strolling along the seafront eating junk food and enjoying the sun. I always do a lot of walking so I've been stiff and sore since I got home! My dad bought lots of great T shirts in the markets while I of course grabbed dvds and books and dinosaur stuff! But I didn't read a thing when I was there because I was tired every night from the heat and exercise! Since I got home I have read a graphic novel and short story so hopefully my reading slump is slowly ending! I hope so anyway...

Right, the books! You know I'm a horror/monster/zombie kind of girl and I do love reading those subjects. And of course I have zombies and psychos in my haul this week! But sometimes I look at popular genres like the fantasy and YA genres and see people rave about certain books that I've never considered reading and I think that there are bound to be books in here that I might like if I have the patience to look at reviews and stuff. I guess I just feel like a bit of a change, trying a few books and authors and seeing if I can find a few new hidden gems! So I took the plunge with a few trades and my holiday money! I'm a bit nervous at a few of my choices but I did get them at reduced price in Waterstones sales. Wish me luck, I'm going in!

DOWNLOADS:

 



BOUGHT PAPERBACKS:






33 comments:

  1. Beautiful vacation pics...love the monkey selfie. I really enjoyed Eleanor and Park when I read it a few years ago. Hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying new genres and things with a big romance plot SCARES me! I'm not sure how I'll get on with it but if I hate it I can always bookcross or trade it. I'm hoping for the best!

      Delete
  2. The monkey selfie was fun. Eleanor and Park was a cute read, I enjoyed it. Looks like you had a nice time on vacation. Hope you enjoy all your new books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've given Otis a taste for selfies now! We had a great time thanks!

      Delete
  3. Great pictures, Chuckles! And I want those Rainbow Rowell books myself :)

    Have a fantastic weekend and happy reading.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them on a whim as they were in the Waterstones sale-figured I might as well treat myself on holiday! You have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. I loved the Forest of Hands and Teeth series! It's great that you got away for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Hare Moon and I very much enjoyed getting Tabitha's story! It sets me up nicely to reread The Forest of Hands and Teeth and then finally read the rest of the series!

      Delete
  5. Love the classic old-timey look of that Cherry Ames book. Look forward to hear your thoughts on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was first published in 1942 I think, which certainly explains the old fashioned cover! I read the Sue Barton nursing series from the 50's and enjoyed it so I thought it would be interesting to read about a young woman becoming a nurse during WW11. Something new to try!

      Delete
  6. I still haven't read Fangirl or Eleanor and Park but I hope you enjoy them. Everyone I know raves about them :)

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I know pretty much liked them! They are not the kinds of books I generally read but I used to read this kind of stuff as a teenager so I figured I'd try them for a change.

      Delete
  7. That's so sweet of your dad! I love going to places like that!

    I hope you're refreshed now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was feeling great while I was away but now I'm home with the housework to do, suddenly I'm tired and need another holiday!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic haul! I've heard really good things about We All Looked Up. I still haven't read any Rainbow Rowell yet. I hope you enjoy these! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself on holiday!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to pick out a few books that were a bit different from what I usually read. Whether I like them or not remains to be seen but that's true of any book we read!

      Delete
  9. Love the monkey selfie! I should take Steve-bear sightseeing sometime too. And looks like a good haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my boys comes with me wherever I go-it makes holiday photos more interesting to look at. I'd like to see what Steve-bear gets up to!

      Delete
  10. yay for a nice time. the new books are all new to me I confess and I hope you'll like them all. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just need to find some time to get reading them! I can't seem to get past cooking and housework at the moment...ugh!

      Delete
  11. Fangirl! *yet to read but excited*... Four!!!! *Enough said really, lol*
    Great pics! I love the one with Otis! :P Made me smile x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Otis is loving his new found popularity! I'll need to start a monkey feature on my blog to show off my boys!

      Fangirl is so far removed from my usual reads but a change might be nice. I've only read the first Divergent book but plan to read the trilogy so I can read Four. When I get to it is the issue!

      Delete
  12. Great pictures, it sounds like you had a fantastic time!

    Great haul too, I have only read the Fire Sermon, it was a good read.

    Have a nice week!

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fire Sermon looked a bit different plus I loved the cover and it was on sale. Those are good enough reasons to buy...

      Delete
  13. Aww Otis looks adorable, what a great monkey shelfie! It sounds like you had a fun surprise trip! I hope you'll find some new hidden gems in your new stash of books! I've heard of a few of these books, but haven't read any of them. i hope you'll enjoy them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Otis is blushing as we speak! I named him after the singer Otis Redding. My other monkeys are names after Presidents or have names popular in different countries, just to be different. I really enjoyed the holiday but I need another one already!

      Delete
  14. Oh the pictures are exciting! Thank you for sharing. I won't ever make it there, so it's cool to see the images.

    Hope you enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy looking at people's holiday photos to see places I'll never get to visit. For the same reson I used to collect postcards but when my collection reached 10000 I had to scale it down because I had no space left!

      Delete
  15. It sounds like you had a great trip! Nice photos - the rollercoasters look like a lot of fun!

    I just finished Prince of Thorns - I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to spend most of my time at Blackpool on the rollercoasters but it's been years since I did that!

      Delete
  16. I totally forgot about Four. I want to read his POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first book in the series but never read the rest so grabbing this one cheap should encourage me to go back and read them all. That's the plan anyway!

      Delete
  17. I really need to read Rainbow Rowell! Those books all look so cute and whimsical :)
    YAY for surprise vacations, Chuckles! I'm glad you had such a good time.
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete