Saturday, 18 February 2017

Stacking the Shelves #169


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. I don't allow any company access to my social media accounts and I certainly don't allow them to edit and take over the way DISQUS does. So if you use DISQUS, I can't leave comments on your page so I can't follow you back, sorry! (see below why I say NO)

Authorize DISQUS to use your account?
Disqus is a service and tool for web comments and discussions.
This application will be able to:
*Read Tweets from your timeline.
*See who you follow, and follow new people.
*Update your profile.
*Post Tweets for you.


I'm noticing that some blogs set with Google Plus are trying to force you to open a Google Plus or Facebook account before you can leave a comment. Well, I have no interest in rejoining Google Plus or joining Facebook so if your blog uses this set up, I won't be following it or commenting! And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me so there might not be a message from me some weeks or you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me but I will persevere as it only happens the odd time!
**************** 
The end of another week. I've been feeling ill on and off over the last few weeks with crippling stomach pains, nasty toilet visits, constipation and feeling sick and stuff so I was about to go to the doctor when I spoke to a friend who swears by alternative medicine. She said coffee is one of the biggest issues in triggering irritable bowel syndrome. I take one iced latte every morning and that's all but I decided to stop taking it. The results were surprising. I have had no nausea, stomach pains, IBS symptoms of any kind for five whole days. I couldn't believe it. I feel human again. Something about the caffeine was throwing my system into chaos and now I feel so much better. If you are having IBS issues it might be worth experimenting to see if any of your regular food and drink could be upsetting your system. There are lots of health pages about foods that trigger IBS so you can google 'em.
 
Feeling ill at the start of the week meant I actually had to stop my hot streak of reading for three days as I couldn't really concentrate on books. I'm back on track now thankfully and as a bonus, I caught up on a rewatch of the first two seasons of Bering Sea Gold which I LOVE! I enjoy these tough job reality tv things better than films or drama shows! I might need to do a post about them and what I need to get watched. Nyargh. One of those author newsletters pointed me to an urban fantasy free book bonanza with all new-to-me authors so I grabbed a pile. It would've been rude not to! I'm starting to wade through the emails and decide which authors don't write my kind of books and unsubscribe. But I've also found a few more who write my kind of books! Exciting reads ahead!
 
DOWNLOADS:
The first six books were all free thanks to the kindness of authors who put them into an urban fantasy giveaway! The next three were through author newsletters and were happily grabbed! My tbr thanks you...sort of...

 
 
 
 
 
 
PAPERBACKS:
I paid more for this than I wanted but it was the only main part of Pack story that I didn't have and I loved the cover. Short read but loves the wolves in it!
 
 
 

40 comments:

  1. Wow you always have so many books! As always new to me but some sound interesting, I have a few Kelley Armstrong books I need to read (but a friend wants to joint read). Enjoy the new goodies. My Shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Too many books' more like! Ugh I'm impossible! But it is such a buzz to grab those books and I can't seem to really want to stop...! Kelley Armstrong has written a ton of stuff that's for sure but I love her wolf Pack Otherworld books and novellas the best. There are a couple of her newer series I've still to try but that is way down the road!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, sorry to hear that you've been so sick! That sounds miserable. I hope it's all figured out now. Do you think if it was decaf it would be any better? My husband has IBS but coffee doesn't seem to aggravate it for now...but he doesn't drink it too often.

    I love the cover for The Tide! So cool! I hope you enjoy all of your new books, and continue feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IBS is weird that way. A lot of people have to cut milk and cheese from their diets to ease it but I've never had any problem with those. The caffeine thing is weird as it never affected me before this year. I'm just strange I guess...I'm a bit scared to try any coffee now!

      Yeah The Tide looks nice and creepy doesn't it! It sounds just like my kind of read!

      Delete
  3. Yeaaah, caffeine can be a really bad trigger for any kind of irritable bowel disease. I have a friend who has ulcerative colitis, and caffeine is just so bad for her. I'm glad cutting it out is working for you!

    Hurrah for the new books, too! I need to read more Kelley Armstrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look back on it, I've actually felt bad in the mornings on and off for quite a while now so it must have been the caffiene all along. Typical! Self inflicted misery! Well at least I solved that problem! Books always make things better though...!

      Delete
  4. Boo to feeling rubbish! I hope that you enjoy your new books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hate feeling sick...totally ruins your day! The books always cheer you up though!

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you’re feeling better. Coffee makes me sick, too. I’ve never been able to drink it. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed my iced coffee each morning and it helped wake me up...but it certainly isn't worth feeling bad in other ways!

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't have thought that coffee could trigger IBS. That's interesting. You got some great looking books this week.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you read about IBS it can be triggered by so many different things-stress, caffeine, alcohol, dairy products...I don't get ill effects from the dairy products thankfully as I love cheese! Different things affect different people I guess...

      Delete
  7. Nice variety this week. Fairy Tale has got me curious. Glad to hear you are faring better. I've been working on less coffee and healthier diet these days as well. It takes awhile for the adjustments to kick in comfortably. Have a good reading week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have plans for being healthier from now on. Next step is making my own smoothies then next year starting to grow my own herbs, fruit and veg. I'm in research mode now!

      Delete
  8. I know all about paying more than I want because it is the first time I have seen the book; in my case it is Pratchett books outside his Discworld series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't generally buy graphic novels because of their expense but when it's part of a favourite series or by a favourite author you kind of feel you have to buy them don't you! Gah, reduce the prices already!

      Delete
  9. Oh man, I hope you are feeling better? It's amazing, what foods of this day and age can do to a body. It looks like you got a lot of interesting books this week. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a lovely weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to take better care of myself I think! Too many chemicals and additives so I need to be a bit healthier and cut out the bad stuff!

      Delete
  10. Wicked thx and Damned If I Do both look great. may look into them. So glad you are feeling better. I love iced cappuccino but would give it up if I felt that bad. At least you got in some good TV time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the story for Wicked Witch-it's a short read but the character interests me enough to read on in that series. I haven't looked at any of the others yet. My iced latte was great for waking me up but not worth the gut issues!

      Delete
  11. I am glad your feeling better I hav IBS as well and caffeine really annoys me as well. Great haul some I will have to check out.

    Megan @reading away the days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrible feeling that bad every day isn't it? So many things can set it off, then you get stressed and it gets worse! You can't win!

      Delete
  12. I love coffee, I do occasionally wonder if I'd feel better of it, I only really drink it during working hours, it makes me human. Glad you are feeling better!

    We are fans of Gold Rush here, so predictable but fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what was weird...I had one cup of iced coffee each morning and no more through the day, and that was enough to throw my system off. Weird! A few of my friends have issues with milk and cheese but not caffeine so humans are weird!

      I love Gold Rush as well...I'm a couple of seasons behind in it so it's next on the catch up list.

      Delete
  13. Glad you're feeling better. I don't drink coffee (I prefer tea) but I do hear caffeine can do quite a number on your body, and sometimes symptoms can just come on suddenly even if you've never had them before. Happy to see you back in your reading groove, I myself have been getting over a week of bad flu and I've fallen behind on my reading too.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to get some TV watched as well as some decent reading. Hopefully, more of the same this week! I hope you feel better soon Mogsy...there's nothing worse than feeling horrible.

      Delete
  14. Caffeine can do weird stuff, I was avoiding caffeine for a while but then I fell off the wagon ha ha. Glad you're feeling better.

    I love that cover of New Order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely avoiding it for the time being! I might experiment with cutting out other foods that can irritate the gut and see how it goes. Hopefully, a good reading week ahead!

      Delete
  15. Wow so many books! Hope you enjoy :)
    Sorry you were feeling so ill this week :( Hope you feel a lot better this coming week.

    Happy reading!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a good week. I need to catch up and get ahead on the blogging, get some good reading done and some more TV catch up!

      Delete
  16. Sorry you weren't feeling well. Diet can have such a huge impact on overall health. I have found that I really need to eat right at most meals or I feel sick anymore. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diet is so complicated! Why can't we just eat and drink anything we want! I think you're right...I need to make sure I eat right and get some energy back, and then I can get the exercise I badly need!

      Delete
  17. Nice new books this week. I visited some of those free bunches and di my best to not grab any. Almost succeeded. LOL I gave up coffee a couple of years ago and was surprised how much better I felt, especially in the morning. I do drink hot tea now and then, but it doesn't affect me that way.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found myself grabbing a ton of freebies when the newsletters started flooding in. Now I've looked at reviews of the books, sorted out which books have tropes I don't like, and I've been able to delete quite a few off the tbr so I can concentrate on the ones I really want to read.

      I used to get up in the morning with sort of acid reflux and stomach pains...and they have gone since I stopped the coffee. I wish I'd known what was causing it as I could have felt better sooner!

      Delete
  18. I'm sorry you didn't feel well last week, Chuckles, but glad you found a way to cure your IBS on your own. Plus, you're back on track both for reading and for your show.
    I hope next week will be amazing, and that you'll enjoy your new reads.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These diet issues are so complicated, I'm just glad that some of that has been sorted. But on the bright side, good books and good tv!

      Delete
  19. Sorry you've been not feeling great. How crazy that just coffee made that change! You've got some interesting new books to read there! Hope you enjoy them. Thanks for stopping by my Sunday Post at Lisa Loves Literature earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy how one cup of coffee a day can do that isn't it! Yeah a few interesting looking books this week-I've read Wicked Witch and I was interested enough in that to continue with the series so that makes it productive. Yea!

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you fixed your tummy troubles. Coffee always makes my daughter sick. I could drink it all day long and not feel a thing but she has a few sips and she's running to the bathroom. I guess it affects everyone a little differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have fixed most of the issues except the constipation but was at the doctor this morning so that should be fixed shortly. We're all weird inside!

      Delete