Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Book Review: Extinction Island by Catt Dahman


Shipwrecked, a group of survivors find that they are in the midst of a graveyard of ships and airplanes from years past. They have the answers to what becomes of those lost in the Bermuda Triangle, but it's not what they hoped. There is no peace or salvation, it's a place of terror, claws, and teeth. And blood. There are nests of raptors and every creature on the island just wants to eat. In a place where the lost come to rest, there is no rest...there is only the fight to survive on extinction island. 

My Review: 
A rich man invites his sons and their friends on a boat trip but a sudden vicious storm shipwrecks them on an island. When there is no sign of help arriving for them and an unknown creature feasting on one of the dead, panic starts to set in. The island holds many secrets including a ton of dinosaurs, a ships graveyard and other hostile human inhabitants.

It's not a literary masterpiece by any means but it isn't meant to be. It is a fun dinosaur romp in the manner of the creature features you get on things like the Sy-Fy Channel. It's a homage to the B movie with lots of people being attacked and eaten on almost every page. It also has the supernatural mystery element, the obnoxious characters you want to get chomped and the hostile humans lurking in the woods as an added danger. It does enough to entertain and there is plenty dinosaur action or something else happening all the time so it kept me pretty happy overall.

Lots of dinosaurs! Compys are the first ones that we see, making a meal out of the dead bodies from the shipwreck but there are bigger and badder things to come. There is no safe place on the island with the camp being regularly attacked, and danger lurking around those tasked with going to find supplies. I liked having a big cast because you knew that meant plenty of dinosaur victims through the book. And you can't have a dinosaur horror without chomped and torn bodies!

There were other interesting sub plots running through the book. The survivors discover a waterfall and pool and the water seems to have some kind of healing effect. Their medic Kelly is concerned about it and wants it only used when necessary but some of the others are sneaking off there and becoming addicted to it, causing a change in their overall behaviour, which will have a terrible effect on the camp. There is also a murder plot with several of the badly injured being killed-is it murder or mercy killing and who is doing it? The other worrying thing for the survivors are the discovery of both the countless shipwrecks on the island and the discovery of feral survivors who may have been affected by the water they are using.

The one down side to the book is the characters. Stu is a complete nightmare, the steriotype spoiled rich brat who thinks all women are sluts especially the ones who turn him down, and that everyone around him is a lesser species because he is so wonderful. Ugh! He is the one you REALLY want to get eaten! His sister Vera is a whiny little bitch and stepmother Connie is a complete cow. We have the steriotype slut character Joy who breaks up the happy-about-to-be-engaged couple which got steam coming out of my nostrils. Normally having so many idiots in a book would switch me off it but in these dinosaur gorefest books I have a bit more tolerance for them as it is more fun if they get eaten...

Overall a decent story with enough dinosaurs to make a horror fan happy but just don't expect to love the characters or find it to be the greatest story in the world. Then you might like it for a bit of light entertainment!
Read October 2016.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

14 comments:

  1. The whiny bitch and the complete cow comment really made my morning. I pretty much feel that that dinosaur this morning telling people to leave me alone. Glad you found this one to at least be entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can somehow deal with crap characters in this type of monster romp better than I can in other genres-just because of the high death rate I suppose! I've been grumpy myself all week-niggling cold symptoms that keep threatening but not developing!

      Delete
  2. Great review. Sometimes the literary equivalent of a SyFy B-movie is exactly what you're craving. I'd definitely give this a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they're kind of fun as long as you know what to expect from them aren't they? No point in trying to compare them to great books or anything, just enjoy the fun!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like my type of fun SyFy read. Thanks for sharing. You find all of these good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more like this up my sleeve! Like I said to Bob, they are fun if you don't take them too seriously or expect a masterpiece. They are nice quick gory dino romp reads!

      Delete
  4. This sounds awesome- yes in a B movie way. A ship graveyard, ferals
    ?? I want this!! And mercy (?) killings?

    LOL about the big cast meaning lots of potential victims!! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was certainly plenty going on...it's what you'd expect to see on SyFy with ex-singers running along the beach being chased by raptors! I actually get disappointed sometimes if the MCs are in very low numbers as I worry there might not be enough death...yes I am twisted...!

      Delete
  5. I love my B movies! LOL I also like a lot of those extra characters as fodder. Got to give those dinos something. Sounds like a fun one for a few hours of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if you're going to land on their island you need to give them some kind of buffet! It was a fun enough read to keep me entertained for a while! I have the follow up book to read at some point too.

      Delete
  6. Hi Chuckles!
    I hope you’re doing well! I work as an author assistant, and I represent author Pembroke Sinclair. Ms. Sinclair recently released her thrilling urban fantasy/apocalyptic novel, Wucaii. I came across Chuckles Book Cave, and I would love to offer you an e-copy for review if you're interested. :) You can reach me at Pam.Moonlightreader@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam and thanks for the kind offer! Based on the Goodreads reviews, this would not be my kind of read but I'm happy to do a free promotion piece for Ms Sinclair in the hope that some of my blog visitors may be interested in her work. I have posted it and will email you the links. Good luck with the book!

      Delete
  7. Ah, one of your dinosaur books! That would be terrifying to shipwreck on an island full of dinosaurs, but it does sound like a fun gorefest kinda book. Not my kinda thing, but lol about wanting the characters to get eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many characters being eaten! LOL! I do love to try these dinosaur books when I stumble across them! Planning to read book 2 at some point just to see what happens.

      Delete