Friday, 24 February 2017

Chuckles Chat #6: Bloglovin'

Welcome to Chuckles Chat where great blogging minds unite to discuss the topics of the day mainly in the book and blogging world. I'll be sharing my thoughts on a topic and then inviting you all to share your thoughts. It's ok to disagree but PLEASE be respectful of each other's views! All of the comments on my blog are moderated and offensive posts ie racist, bigoted will not be published! 

Today my chat is all about Bloglovin'. For those unsure what this is, Bloglovin' is a tool for keeping up with blogs and a way to manage blog feeds. You can follow any blog you want through this and when you go to your bloglovin' feed, it shows you every new blog post that everyone you follow has posted. When you click on the post on your feed you are taken straight to it and when you return to your feed, that post is marked as being read so you don't get confused over which posts you have read or have still to read. A useful tool indeed!

Personally, I use bloglovin' daily. It's my first stop for the day when I'm going blog visiting. I look through the general feed and 'mark as read' the posts I'm not visiting ie music, fashion, giveaways, TV shows I don't watch, beauty, recipes, etc. I'm left with just the book reviews, discussion posts, TV shows or films that interest me, memes or other posts that have caught my eye. Then I start checking them out in order of interests or by the blogger in question. Once I've read the posts and commented on as many as I can, I check back a few times during the day to see if anything new has been posted. I find it is a time saving tool that makes it easy to organise my blog visits and I never miss a post on my favourite blogs doing it this way. How do you use bloglovin'?

There are a few things I don't like about it though. I hate the sponsored ads and posts that I can't get rid of. I hate having to change it from My Feed to Blog Feed every time I visit-can't I select Blog Feed as a default??? I want to see the blog posts not everything everyone I follow liked or saved! I hate seeing Blogs You Might Like featured at the side because they are not blogs that ever interest me, they relate in no way to my interests and are there because Bloglovin' wants to promote them. Unhelpful. It's the same when I decide to follow a new blog...I get shoved onto that similar blogs page which only shows popular followed blogs with thousands of followers and have zero to do with what I just followed. And can I say how much I hated it when ads appeared in my actual feed? I also hate when it decides to unfollow a blog for some stupid reason. I detest being asked to claim my blog-it's already mine and I don't need to 'claim' it from anyone!!! What bugs you about it?

What features would you like to see on it? I would actually like to see a notification about who has unfollowed me-not to go and yell at them or anything, but just out of curiosity, rather than going through all my followers and trying to remember who was there who is now gone! Not everyone would like that feature and I do understand why! I would like to be able to see what I want on the feed page and not what Bloglovin' are trying to push on me. I hate that on all social media platforms.

Oh yes, they COULD make life easier by avoiding this follow the person, follow the blog mix up! Why not have one follow button that lets you follow the person AND the blog? Some people new to bloglovin are following me as a person and not realising they need to follow the blog seperately! Make it easy, combine the two.

What are your thoughts on Bloglovin'?

Save

14 comments:

  1. I think the unfollowing feature would be nice. I pretty much use it the same way you do. I have found some good blogs through their suggestions, but rarely have time to look through them so they could do away with that feature as well and I wouldn't miss it. Great discussion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloglovin' is certainly useful for helping chaotic people like me! Yeah I'm just nosey to see who has unfollowed me! I don't get offended by stuff like that but I am nosey!

      Delete
  2. I couldn’t survive without Bloglovin’. I follow over 1000 blogs and use it to keep everything under control. That follow blog/follow profile thing is confusing. It needs to go away. I want to follow blogs, not profiles. I wish Bloglovin’ would show me accurate numbers for followers/following. The numbers on my profile are different than the numbers in my analytics. The sponsored ads and blogs are also unhelpful.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd have time to follow that number of blogs though it would be nice to find a few more people interested in zombies, apocalypses and horror books! Most of the blogs I look at are YA, contemporary and romance! The numbers are very confused when you try to work out your followers and the profile/blog follow is just annoying!

      Delete
  3. I also use bloglovin every day or two. It makes it so much easier to just scroll through and see what new things have been posted rather than trying to keep track of a bunch of different blogs separately. Except I feel like it's not always showing me every post :-/ Thinking of trying Feedly, I think it is, except idk if there's a way to transfer all the blogs I follow, and I don't have the energy to input every single one. And oh, yeah, the follow blog/follow person thing is kind of confusing, but it seems like every time I follow a blog it automatically follows the person too? I just have the link on my blog go to the follow blog page so that no one will get confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a few times where I felt that the newest posts by a favourite blog have not been shown so I've went to my favourite blogs just to check. Sometimes when you find a new blog it looks like the blogger hasn't been active for months on the bloglovin' blog page but when you go to the blog the person has posted very recently. I find that weird.

      Delete
  4. Pretty much the same. I use it daily and is my main method of following blogs, although a lot of times I just use the daily email I get and clikc on the actual site if I want more or have time. I agree about the person/ blog following- that's irritating.

    Not a big fan of ads either. And I would like to see who unfollows, just so I can better understand my audience and who is leaving as well as joining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing who unfollowed can be useful and gives you clues why that person might have unfollowed. With me a lot of it is DISQUS related. As I don't get involved in that I can't comment on blogs that change over to it and unfollowing usually occurs soon after!

      Delete
  5. We used to have a bloglovin button on the blog, not sure if we have it anymore or what happened to it, lol! When I first started using it though, it seemed most popular with the YA book bloggers, though the audience might have expanded since then.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be more horror and apocalypse fans out there for me to follow! Everyone seems to read romance, contemporary or YA instead!

      Delete
  6. I love bloglovin! I use it every day (or try to!) so I can easily keep up with everyone's blog posts. I agree with being annoyed by the having to see the posts that my friends have liked and promotional ads. That gets a little frustrating. I would like to be able to see who unfollows to, just for curiosity sake. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we're all pretty curious about who is unfollowing! Ads are an absolute bane of my life. I hate them. Gah!

      Delete
  7. I have it for my blog but to be honest I don't really use it except for the emails it sends through to me with recommended reads. I tend to use Digg everyday for keeping an eye on my favourite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Digg TBH but then again I don't spend much time on the Internet compared to most people! Even though I'm on Twitter I don't really use it on a daily basis.

      Delete