Friday, 17 February 2017

Chuckles Mini Reviews Catch Up


I review everything I read, on my blog and on Goodreads. Most reviews are of a decent length but sometimes you don't have much to say about the book because of its length or you DNFed it or various other reasons. In cases like that it makes sense to write a few mini reviews in one post and clear them out your way! So lets catch up with these reviews from last year.

Peter Cawdron-What We Left Behind
This is an example of a dreadful MC putting me right off the story. Haze is a moaning faced, immature, whiny little bitch and I frankly hate her. She spends most of her time complaining about her friends and pointing out every fault they have and why it makes her so much better. She thinks she is more mature than Jane because she calls them zombies while Jane calls them monsters. Oh yes that REALLY proves your maturity.

Haze whines about being stuck inside a safe commune in the zombie apocalypse because she wants more out of life. She doesn't want to be stuck there doing boring jobs every day for the good of the community. Well take your whiny ass out there into the world where you have to fend for yourself and see how you enjoy the zombies! What an ungrateful little snot! Most people would be grateful to live in a safe commune away from the zombies but not Haze. Most people would realise that the community need to work together and share the load as that is fair. So the jobs might be boring but you do your share and get on with it! Haze is just lazy, spoiled and needs a good kick up the ass. She is very snotty about preppers who are successfully living beyond the walls of their community, calling them 'sad lonely paranoid hermits' and then wonders why they don't like or deal with people like her. Um, maybe because you are rude and snotty? And now she decides she is going out into the world to collect a zombie sample to prove a scientific theory of her father? Oh yes that should be worth a giggle!

I really cannot stand idiot main characters like this in my zombie books.  

Read December 2016.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

Robert Kirkman-Rise of the Governor
Philip is the capable brother, determined to look after daughter Penny in the zombie apocalypse, ready to leave town with his trusted friends Bobby and Nick. He is also forced by bad luck to take his brother Brian, who he meets by accident and was planning to leave without. The group are trying to get to the safe zone in Atlanta.

Basically, this book was just way too slow for me. We had so much description about the characters and what they were doing without really taking the story forward. It was a day to day existance for the group with not much in the way of exciting zombie action. I just found it pretty dull. By p90 I was bored and decided to DNF.  

Read December 2016.
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

Glenn Bullion-Dead Living 
This book started really well as the zombie apocalypse explodes, leaving Joe trying to get to his pregnant wife Sarah who is in labour and on the way to the hospital with her friend Margie. Denise works at reception as hell breaks loose while Frank is there looking for his bitten sister. I found their stories interesting and exciting, it was well written and I was fully invested in it. I couldn't wait to see what happened to them.

Then we suddenly switch to 14 years later when Joe's baby is a teenager and the group are fully settled and adapted to this new life. And suddenly, Frank and Joe are shot on a raid and Margie and Denise decide to stay with the dying men and get eaten by zombies instead of getting Aaron and fleeing. I felt so cheated by this! They were the characters I liked from the start of the book, the ones who drew me into the story. Now we are left with the one dimensional kid with no character development or social skills, and a girl living in a group with asshats and would be rapists. Sam is obnoxious and rude when Aaron saves her so now we have two MCs I don't really like and I lost all interest in continuing with the book.

Frustrated as the opening proved that this is a good storyteller who could do something great with zombies, but chose instead to go into teen angst drama instead. Not for me.  

Read December 2016.
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

4 comments:

  1. You know, I read Rise of the Governor and like you, I found it to be so slow and too filled with words. There wasn't enough action and I think basically they were just trying to capitalize of the popularity of the TV series when they released this series. I never even considered picking up the rest of the books after this one. Also, the MC in What We Left Behind sounds like she needs a little zombie therapy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel they just threw it together to publish without making it work along with The Walking Dead season Three. I skimmed through and thought the end of the book was just stupid. Although I liked TWD s3 I got bored with all the Governor and Andrea stuff and Rick going mad so I was a little disappointed with it overall. And yes to setting the zombies on Haze!

      Delete
  2. I hated the Governor he irritated me SO much so I wouldn't like that book lol. Bummer about Dead Living, I hate it when a story starts out good and then changes or disappoints. Loved your thoughts on what We Left Behind- she does sound like a whiny thing but your review made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found season three frustrating. I liked the various attacks on the prison and the set up there but Andreas love life was way too prominent and it was just really slow in places. I didn't much like all the Woodbury community stuff or Rick's madness plot. I was annoyed at losing a few characters I liked as well.

      Delete