Thursday, 26 May 2016

Gardening With Chuckles


Yes it's that time of year when we reluctantly cast our eyes towards the garden, when the hedge is growing, the grass is full of dandelions and the weeds are doing a conga up the garden path! I've never had green fingers and a mixture of ill health, bad weather and family issues means my dad and I have neglected the garden over the last five years and now we have a ton of work to do! You can follow our 'adventures' through the summer!

The weather went back to sunny on Sunday and the forecast for the week was good, so while I got the cleaning done inside the house, events in the back garden went on without me. On Tuesday, a ton of sand (literally) was taken around the building in multiple wheelbarrow runs, then it was a case of getting it level and looking nice. The ladders are there as a guide for the height of sand  needed to have everything square and level. That took most of the day but it looked pretty good, other than the cat paw prints and nasty deposit that the bugger left overnight. If I catch it, I'll make it into a pair of hand warming muffs! 



Then Wednesday morning, my dad put down the cement and got it level and smooth so he could start moving the stones down into place. It's pretty exciting to see it all coming together nicely. The square area with the sand is obviously where the stones will go, and we plan to put gravel around the four sides of it as a path around it for easy access to cut hedges and water plants etc. My dad worked hard all day to get the paving down and here is the result!





Big improvement when you look back to that dead grass with plastic lying all over the place! We're really pleased with the latest stage of our garden adventure!

6 comments:

  1. OMG! That's awesome. Tell your Dad he did a great job. I know you are both putting in a lot of hard work. I will be working on my flower garden this weekend so maybe I will have some pics next week. Booker T says if you didn't live so far away he would definitely help with you cat problem. The black cat we talked about a while ago never entered the yard again - and no one even touched it! Booker T has some pretty mad cat skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased at how good it looks! He worked really hard and he's pretty stiff now! I told him to have a nice duvet day today to try and relax!

      Maybe I'll send Booker T a plane ticket for a cat hunting holiday if I win the lottery!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! Beautiful. How wonderful it will be to enjoy it all when you are done setting it all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks so good! Now we need to do the levelling between the paving and the path so it all looks nice but that might be next week, depending on weather.

      Delete
  3. That looks amazing, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stop looking at it! It's very eye catching. I treated my dad to a PS4 game as a bit of a reward for his hard work!

      Delete