Thursday, 19 May 2016

Book Review: As the World Dies-Untold Tales volume 1 by Rhiannon Frater


THE FIRST DAYS: AS THE WORLD DIES introduced Jenni and Katie and their harrowing journey to the makeshift fort in the Texas Hill Country. But theirs is not the only tale to be told. In the first volume of the AS THE WORLD DIES UNTOLD TALES experience three terrifying tales of those who are forced to face the unrelenting and hungry walking dead.

Deep in the Texas Hill Country, a man and his little dog takes refuge in a bed and breakfast located in the hills above a doomed town where an infested rescue center might unleash the hungry undead…

On a deserted highway slicing through the desolation of West Texas, a woman struggles to survive as she faces the horrifying aftermath of the rise of the zombies…

And finally, discover what happens on the first day to Katie’s beloved wife, Lydia, as the world dies…


My Review:
The Untold Tales series is a great companion novella anthology to the As the World Dies series. I'd advise reading book one in that series before reading these stories. I'm going to write just a few comments on each story and how good each one is so I don't ruin the plot! And how gorgeous is the cover of this book? I love the colours and design.

1) The Broken Heart
As Katie rushes off to get to court on time, her wife Lydia is at home, getting worried about the strange behaviour of her blood covered neighbour. What has he done to his wife?

Even in this short story I knew that Lydia is a character that I would have loved-certainly much nicer than Jenni! It is tougher to read this short story because you already know the outcome if you have read The First Days, but it is a great addition to this book.

2) Dangerous Highways
Monica has decided it is time to leave her boyfriend and then the zombie apocalypse hits, leaving her alone on the road, trying to find gas and safety, when zombies are on the prowl.

This was a decent background story, telling what dangers Monica faced in the early days of the zombie apocalypse.

3) Vacation of the Undead
Eric is on vacation with his gold digger girlfriend who he wants to marry and his beloved dog Pepe. When Brandy decides she is leaving, Eric is left alone at the property with only internet contact with a survivor at a compound to keep his spirits up. But should he try to find other survivors or hide where he is? The choice is about to be taken out of his hands.

This was a good story, though I wanted to hit Eric for being a doormat, and throttle Brandy for being the bimbo bitch from hell! I liked all the levels of the story and the way Eric discovers the fort and the possibility of a new life-if he can get there. Good story!

Overall I enjoyed this volume of stories. I have bought the other two in the series but don't plan to read them until I finish the As The World Dies trilogy. I look forward to reading them all soon. 
star rating photo: Four Star Rating 4stars.png

3 comments:

  1. This looks like one I might check out. Sorry I've been MIA all week. Training which required driving 1 1/2 hours each way for 5 days straight kicked my butt. I hope to catch up on some blogs this weekend as well as read the rest of your posts. I mussed you while your computer was down last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good companion to the main series. One of the many things I need to catch up with! Ugh, sounds like you had a really tiring week. I hope mine is less stressful...Thanks for your kind words and I certainly missed visiting you and your furry friends!

      Delete
  2. I have still to read this series, I am glad it sounds good one day I'll get around to it!

    ReplyDelete