Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Back Online!



Thankfully I'm back online with a new computer. I didn't have time to get it to the repair shop in town on Friday so I put it in first thing Monday. Three hours later, I was collecting my brand new computer! Yea! I got a new mouse, keyboard, monitor, modem, printer, with Windows 10...for £230 which I'm happy about. Plus the guy transferred my old disk drive into the new machine so I didn't lose a single file and he didn't charge for labour which was great. It feels weird to have a machine that is actually fast and working!

So what was the problem with it? Well, I had always been told if your computer goes wonky, switch off at the mains which will clear the problem to reboot the computer. When I told the guy I was given this advice online and had been doing this, he stared at me in horror! He said NEVER DO THAT! If you switch off the power without shutting down the computer first, you start slowly destroying your computer until it eventually goes terminal. Gulp! I'm not greatly technical so bear with me! The bit that reads the spinning bit inside clamps down suddenly if the power shuts off...like shoving something metal down on a spinning cd while it is playing. Gradually you wear away the spinning thing which erodes performance. So I'll never be doing that again. That's the problem when you know very little about computers, like chuckles...

Anyway it's all sorted now and I'll learn from the experience. Now I'll be catching up on the comments I missed over the weekend and getting back to normal. Phew!

5 comments:

  1. Oh no. Well, glad you got it taken care of and back online with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about the cost of a new machine and losing all my files so it was a relief to find that both would be ok. It wiped out my savings but I had to get back online!

      Delete
  2. Eek! Glad you managed to get a new computer without much fuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relief that I had the emergency savings to cover the cost or I could've been offline for quite a while saving up every penny! I should've replaced it months ago but at least it's done now.

      Delete
  3. Yay new computer and no probs!!! I would love a new shiny one, I'll ask Santa!

    ReplyDelete