Tuesday, 10 May 2016

Gardening With Chuckles


Yes it's that time of year when we reluctantly cast our eyes towards the garden, when the hedge is growing, the grass is full of dandelions and the weeds are doing a conga up the garden path! I've never had green fingers and a mixture of ill health, bad weather and family issues means my dad and I have neglected the garden over the last five years and now we have a ton of work to do! You can follow our 'adventures' through the summer!

One word sums up today for me...arrgghh! It was a beautiful day so I got out early to trim the hedge, again doing my impersonation of Leatherface, and it was all going great until I got to the tricky bit beside the gate. The hedgecutter hit a thick bit of branch, sprung back and cut the bloody wire, bringing things to an abrupt halt. Bugger, said Chuckles. OK so it's easily fixed but I'm pissed at myself for doing it, though at least I wasn't dumb enough to touch the damaged bit until after I unplugged it. 


So, electrocution avoided! Then the wind got a bit stronger so I had to chase the hedge and bush cuttings to get them secured in the garden waste bin before they ended up in Edinburgh so I was knackered by the time I sat down to take a quick break. My dad was using the loppers on the other side of the garden to trim back the neighbour's big hedge and he was amused by my antics. He said my uncle started with 70 feet of wire on his hedgecutter but is now down to 10 feet after all his cutting accidents so that made me feel a bit better. We decided to do the painting of the fence together to save time so off we went. It was warm but with a perfect cooling breeze to keep all those buzzy annoying stripey waspy things away!



The painting of the fence took an exciting two hours which wasn't bad really and that sun and breeze is drying it pretty quick, so it's a job well done. The only thing was, when I stood up after we finished, my bloody back went on the other side from last time! I couldn't believe it! Still, I know it'll ease off in a few days or a week so I refuse to moan about it this time. It's going to be sore doing the work when you're seriously fat and I'm just going to get on with it regardless!

Overall, we're pleased with today's work. Next on the list is getting rid of the weeds on the paving beside the fence. We'd planned to lift some of the paving to plant a few bushes but it has been decided to just put plants into big pots on the paving to brighten things up instead.Things are starting to progress nicely!

4 comments:

  1. Your poor back. I always clean up and plant my flower garden each year around Memorial Day weekend here so once I do, I will add some pics on my blog. Sounds like you guys have made a good plan of attack and are managing to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully this time it was just a bit of stiffness for being in one position too long and it has already wore off! I'll look forward to seeing your pictures!

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to hear about your gardening adventures this summer. I am glad you made progress with the fence and things are progressing nicely. I hope you'll share some pictures of your plants next time :). I always like hearing about other people their gardens as we don't have one, only a balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think I'd rather not have a garden-so much work! Still, we'll do what we can with it!

      Delete