Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Book Review: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?


My Review: 
Rachel's life is a disaster-lodging in a poky room, overweight, sleep deprived alcoholic, jobless and lonely. She is stalking her ex Tom and upsetting his new partner Anna, and taking a train into the city each day which passes the house she shared with him. We also get the story of Megan, who babysits for Anna.

This was a very boring book, with two female MCs who do nothing but moan about their lives and how crap life treats them. It really got on my nerves listening to these whining females. To make it worse, both women talked with the same voice and I felt that there was little effort to distinguish between the two women. You really had to rely on the author telling you who was speaking. It was slow, depressing, boring and I wondered if anything was ever going to happen in it. It was page after page of misery and wallowing in self pity and it really drags your mood down reading it.

Rachel is not a nice person and everything has to be about her and what she wants. Tom doesn't want her in his life but she can't accept it and drinks all the time then plagues Tom with calls to get him to take her back when it is clear that he doesn't want her. She abuses the hospitality of the poor woman who offered her a room by leaving blood and vomit all over the place after her benders...I would've kicked her ass out long ago. Rachel is actually quite pathetic and I didn't like her at all. Megan was just somewhat pointless and bland. I found myself not actually caring about either of them.

Gah. Far too slow and dull, moaning faced idiot MCs, no real interest in plot or the writing...I just didn't like anything about it at all. Nothing of interest was happening and I got tired of hearing about Rachel's latest bender and her body fluids! I wouldn't read anything else by the author based on this. It was actually a relief to abandon this book and find something else to read.
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I don't do audio books but I tried the Audible free trial and I picked this as my first choice. I tried listening to it on my journey to work but like you say it was just a bit slow and the main character got on my nerves, well I say main character I only made it a couple of hours in to it, there may have been more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people rave about this book but I just saw nothing in it! I think I'll be staying well away from the film as well! Gah!

      Delete