Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Ten Books With Canine Sidekicks!


Ok, how many of you read horror, dystopia or urban fantasy books and spend the whole time worrying about whether or not the dog will survive? *puts hand up* Yes we love to read about canine sidekicks in books as they are loyal, dedicated and can detect trouble for our heroes. So here are ten great books from those genres that feature our furry friends!

In this zombie apocalypse novel set in journal form, two men try to escape from their street together and find a safe place to see out events. We have one of the two main characters John, and his very nervous greyhound Annabelle. She can sniff out the undead and is so very adorable and cute! Of course I'm biased as I love greyhounds! Poor Annabelle does not enjoy getting up close and personal to the hordes of the undead but she proves to be an important part of the team. LOVE Annabelle!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6667772-day-by-day-armageddon 


Atticus is the last of the druids and owns an occult bookshop and has an Irish wolfhound called Oberon, who has an obsession with partying with French poodles! Atticus and Oberon can communicate mentally and share some very funny moments and Oberon is very much a star of the book. The book itself has humour, action, mythology and urban fantasy and I very much recommend it. I've read a few short stories in the series aqs well and I enjoyed them. You really must go and read about Oberon!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9533378-hounded 


Boston PI Remy Chandler is an angel who is now tasked with stopping the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse from destroying the world. His mortal wife is dying and he gets comfort from his adorable labrador Marlowe. Being an Angel, Remy can communicate with animals and we get some wonderful emotional moments as Marlowe struggles to understand what is happening to his mistress. Despite poor reviews I liked this one and Marlowe was certainly one of the highlights.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2915837-a-kiss-before-the-apocalypse 

A helicopter has crashed outside the town of Safe Haven, releasing a group of psychopathic special ops soldiers with a love of torture and bloodshed. This book is fast paced, gory, scary and horror at it's very finest! Amongst the characters trying to survive is young Duncan and his beagle Woof. I totally love beagles and Woof was so wonderful that I was scared for him every second of this book! He features heavily in the plot and if you like horror and dogs, this is the book for you.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2915837-a-kiss-before-the-apocalypse 

This is a brilliant fast paced zombie road trip book which features former military man John trying to get out of Atlanta with the woman he rescues when the zombie apocalypse hits. Along the way, they encounter Dog, the German Shepherd and decide to take him on their travels. Dog is gorgeous and loyal to his rescuers but danger is ever lurking around the corner with zombies and evil humans at every step. At one point I had to read ahead just to check on what was happening to Dog because I was worried!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27215665-voodoo-plague 


Midway is a novella that comes after book one in the series The Harvesting, but as it follows different characters, you can read it as a stand alone book. The main characters Cricket and Vella are carnival workers who flee when the zombie apocalypse hits, along with Cricket's mutt Puck. The three feature heavily in this well written book and Puck is adorable! These characters unite with others through books two and beyond so make sure you read the whole series!



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22435511-midway 


A global pandemic has wiped out millions and the infected who recover are about to become something very dangerous if the government doesn't act. Mason, a Deputy Marshall is at a cabin near Boone and his isolation keeps him safe but he is determined to bring law back to the town being ruled by a violent gang. He saves and adopts an Irish Wolfhound called Bowie who proves to be an excellent law keeping sidekick as he battles the worst of humanity. Bowie rocks!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18828336-frontier-justice 


This is book #5.4 in the series and I haven't read the others yet but this can be read as a stand alone. It is written from the POV of Clyde the Hellhound who lives with his misress Nyx and assorted werewolves and humans. He secretly runs an advice column on his blog and has sexual relations with stuffed animals! The advice he gives is hilarious and I totally love Clyde! I intend to go back and read the whole series when time allows but this novella is funny and entertaining and well worth a read!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18165876-advice-by-clyde 


Judas is a retired rock star who collects creepy and gross memorabilia but when he buys a ghost, he gets more than he bargained for, putting his life and the life of goth girlfriend Georgia in danger. It is a creepy story with a flawed hero and I loved it. The added advantage are the dogs that Judas owns-two wonderful German Shepherds called Angus and Bon! They feature through the book and I love them. It's been a while since I read the book and I hope to get to a reread sometime soon.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/153025.Heart_Shaped_Box 


This is a prepper novel about Scott, who decides to start preparing for the EMP/solar storm disaster that he thinks is coming, predicted by The Mayans. Along with his girlfriend Joyce, ex wife Linda and his kids they plan and when the EMP hits they must get to the safety of their compound along with loyal dog Duke. Duke doesn't feature heavily in the book but I think he and neighbour's dog Red, along with Duchess, could feature heavily in the rest of the books in the series.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20566964-countdown-to-armageddon 

12 comments:

  1. I love this. Now I have tons of more books to add to my Wishlist. I read a short story featuring Oberon once and loved the dynamic between him and Atticus. I seriously want to check out that series. This is a wonderful list which I feel is made just for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was certainly thinking of you when I put this together! I was sure there would be something for you to enjoy! I love Oberon...I can't wait to get to my series catch up but this week I've hardly had time to do anything book related!

      Delete
  2. I have only read one of the books listed, Heart Shaped Box, but I read it so long ago that I forgot that there was a dog in the story. I do sometimes worry more about the dog than any person in some books. Great post!


    Carole @ Carole's Random Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about the dogs too until I saw them mentioned in my review. I'd like to reread the book as I don't remember much about it but need to clear the tbr a bit first.

      Delete
  3. You know there are several here I've not heard of. This is an awesome post! :D

    Hope you are doing well Chuckles. I want to thank you for visiting me through this rough patch with life. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plans to do a post about other animal sidekicks when I have time to put it together. This week has been a bit mad! You've been having a rough time of it recently and the least we can do is try to show you some support. You will get through all this and hopefully it will happen very soon x

      Delete
  4. That reminds me that I found a website once that's basically spoiler info about whether the dog or other animal in a book will survive, so you can check that out before reading a book. I love books with pets or animals in it, but definitely don't appreciate animal torture or death scenes in a book. Thanks for the list, it's always great to find books where the animals/ pets play a role as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to look out for that site! I get very anxious when canines are involved! You might want to avoid 'Afraid' as poor Woof has a rough time of it.

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking of rereading/finishing the Remy Chandler series! (Is it actually finished? Ugh, I don't even know.) I think I've read the first two. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it's finished yet. I've got five or six of the books I think but only read the first one so far. Am I EVER going to get caught up on all these series???!!!

      Delete
  6. I love this post, too! It is exactly the kind of list I had been looking for on goodreads listopia without any luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to do a weekly list of things like this. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have a second canine sidekick list ready to go. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete