Saturday, 23 April 2016

Stacking the Shelves #131


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. I don't allow any company access to my social media accounts and I certainly don't allow them to edit and take over my accounts the way DISQUS does. So if you use DISQUS, I can't leave comments on your page so I can't really follow you back, sorry! And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me so there might not be a message from me some weeks or you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me!
                            
It hasn't been the best of weeks at Chez Chuckles! Those who viewed my gardening post on Tuesday would know that me, my dad and our neighbour got the slabs for a new path in the front garden put into place and were going to secure them into position with sand the next day. Weather wise, Wednesday was beautiful so we set about the task. It was a day of hell-we had to start getting sand under the stones to secure them in place to stop them wobbling when you walk on them but the damn things were so heavy they had to be levered up with garden tools. We'd sit it back in position and then lift it again to make adjustments, crawling about the concrete for nearly four hours to get nine stones in place. We were both knackered. Next morning I woke up and realised I'd done my back in. Great. The pains in my lower back, hips and legs have made it so uncomfortable to sit in my computer chair for more than ten minutes at a time that blogging was cancelled this week. I'm still suffering it but I need to get my Saturday post done so I can go and have a rest! Still, the slabs look good and are secure and it will have been worth it when the pain goes! Thankfully my dad didn't have any more problems with his back!
 
Trying to find a comfy position to lie in and get my concentration sorted hasn't been easy so I haven't got much reading done, which is annoying! I've mostly been leafing through those women's weekly magazines with true life stories. That always reminds me that many other people in the UK have worse problems than a temporary sore back! Anyway, a few reads was better than nothing and I did have some new Amazon purchased paperbacks arriving to make things better! I do like a bit of retail therapy from the comfort of home! This week the downloads are mostly from a couple of weeks back but a few are new grabs this week. Exciting!
 
DOWNLOADS:













PAPERBACKS:
 
 
 
 
 

27 comments:

  1. Relax and give your back a break. I screwed mine up pretty good a few years back, and I know how debilitating it can be. Use the opportunity to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to give in and take painkillers but at least I can blog again!A couple of days should get me back to fitness I hope! Got some good reading done last night!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry you hurt your back, Chuckles! It's so hard to do anything at all with a bad back :( sitting, standing, walking, lying down - somehow something hurts no matter what. I hope you'll feel better quickly!
    You got a lot of great books to keep you company, though.
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling better today thanks-I think I just stretched something so it should sort itself quickly I hope! Just my luck though! *grumbles* I used this of course as an excuse to treat myself to a couple of books. Every cloud has a silver lining!

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your sore back, Chuckles! When your back hurts, everything hurts. I hope it gets better soon. Great haul this week. I hope you enjoy all of these!

    Carole @ Carole's Random Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a bit sorry for myself this week but I'm snapping out of it now. Just need to be patient and rest it as much as I can. The book haul does make me feel better!

      Delete
  4. Awesome haul of books this week. I see quite a few that are new to me.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew there were so many zombies and apocalypses books out there and I keep discovering more! Arrgghh!

      Delete
  5. Goodness, I hope your back feels better soon. Not fun. The slabs look good though. Hope you are able to get some good reading in with your latest zombies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're pleased with the slabs! My dad did a good job securing the slabs. We just need to cut the last one to size and get it in place but we're trying to find the right tool for the job first. The worst of the front garden is done now, just need new stones, a gate, and a bit of planting and we're there!

      Delete
  6. Oh noes! I'm so sorry to hear of your injury--here's hoping it eases up for you soon! I have degenerative disk disease in my back, so I know from experience how much back pain suuuucks--fingers crossed for you to feel better quickly!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my StS this week! I don't recognize any of the books you hauled above; I'll have to check them out! Here's hoping you enjoy them; happy book-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my own fault for getting so out of shape! I think I've just tweaked something so it should heal pretty quick. Jeez you must really suffer with your back. I'm really sorry to hear about your pain. Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello and hopefully I'll see you again on our blogs!

      Delete
  7. Creation of the Living Dead and Legion of Despair immediately caught eye - nice covers. Glad you got your stones leveled but sorry you hurt your back this time. At least your Dad is better. I look forward to another of your canine sidekick posts. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad has had back problems for years since a car accident so I'm relieved that he had no ill effects from laying the slabs. At least I've been able to blog today which is a good sign. Ah the Canine sidekicks-I'm waiting for a book trade to arrive and once I look at that, another ten will be coming! Say hi to your furry pals for me!

      Delete
    2. I will and Booker T wants you to know he would love to come and visit and hunt down your cat problems!

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard any of these books but I hope you enjoy them. I hope your back feels better. Happy reading!

    Tsuki’s STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tsuki! Feeling better today...buying a few books for therapy purposes certainly helped!

      Delete
  9. Eek, hope your back is doing better -- or if not, at least that you've got some good books to keep you company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good excuse to treat myself to a few ebooks yesterday...as if I need an excuse!

      Delete
  10. I am sorry to hear about your back! I hope you feel better soon and at least the slabs look good, that's nice! And retail therapy always helps when you're feeling down, especially when it's books ;). I hope you'll enjoy your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the garden is done, it will all have been worth it. The rest of the work out the front isn't too bad and it's going to look great with the new plants and coloured stones at the side of the path!

      Delete
  11. Wow, I hope your back feels better soon! What a huge amount of books you got this week! Impressive. Have a great week and thank you for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I've just pulled a muscle in it or something so it should heal up quickly. I hope so as we have lots still to do!

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry to hear about your back, but I'll bet when you finally finish your garden project, it will (hopefully) be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be worth it! The garden has been a mess for five years and needs sorted-sadly it can't be done by using Harry Potter's magic wand so we need to suffer on! Gah, the down side of being a muggle!

      Delete
  13. Oh those things are heavy! And all the work and bent over time in putting them in. Ooooh. I can feel your pain! Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was great fun! *grins wryly* Still, that's done. The rest of the front garden is quite easy but my dad and our neighbour plan to put one of those circular patio stone designs down in place of the grass and that will require sand and cement. That's the really big job that we have left to do and I'd like it done next month. That way when the rain comes as it does most summers we can get the indoor decorating done! Groan!

      Delete