Sunday, 3 April 2016

Drowning in Book Reviews: A Survivors Story!


When I started on Goodreads, I uploaded the contents of my bookshelves and reviewed a pile of them but since then, I've got lazy about being caught up with my reviews. I have reviews to write on books I read back in 2010-2012 that I can't find my review notes for and some of these I barely remember! Last month I made a valient attempt to catch up on these but then discovered just how many need to be done and I got depressed about the scale of it and sort of gave up!

Now I am armed with a plan! I am going to use a hardback notebook as a review journal to write my review notes in to keep them safe. It's not as easy to lose that as it is to lose random bits of paper! That should keep my reviews intact AND it gives me a hard copy of notes to refer to when I go to read the next book in a series. Much easier to refresh my memory than coming downstairs and searching my blog!

I am also getting a bit more structure in my planning. I'm going to go back to January and start doing the reviews for this year in order that I read or abandoned them and catch up on the newest reads first. I want to get to a stage where I am fully up to date and reviewing books within days of reading them like normal bloggers do! When I have time, I will go back and fill in the holes of the older reviews. Now that sounds like a plan!!!

So you will be enjoying a lot of reviews of zombies, preppers, apocalyptic, some urban fantasy and a few others from true crime, tudor fiction, horror etc. 

Do you have a review backlog? How long after reading a book does it take for you to get it on Goodreads or your blog? Do you write notes on books as you read? Are you up to date or drowning in chaos like me?!

4 comments:

  1. Yes I do have a back log but now it is only about 5 books. What I try to do is write my review with a day or two or finishing the book then cross post to Amazon, Goodreads etc as soon as I hit publish. I am just a tad behind due to wanting to read rather than review!

    You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the poor guy in the cartoon! I'll be concentrating on the books I read this year to try and get caught up so maybe then I'll feel I'm getting somewhere!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good plan. If I don't get them reviewed by about a week after I read them, then it gets harder and harder to do them. I know if I really fell behind, I would reach a point where I just gave up. Good luck on your plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely need to get some sort of system in place! I'm redoing my notes for a few books where I'd lost the original notes-that's taken the whole day! Still, it'll help me write the reviews so it has to be done. *grumbles*

      Delete