Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Gardening With Chuckles: The Plan!


Yes it's that time of year when we reluctantly cast our eyes towards the garden, when the hedge is growing, the grass is full of dandelions and the weeds are doing a conga up the garden path! I've never had green fingers and a mixture of ill health, bad weather and family issues means my dad and I have neglected the garden over the last five years and now we have a ton of work to do! You can follow our 'adventures' through the summer!

For those of you who are following our painful progress, I figured I would set out what needs to be done to the front garden to get it looking ship shape by summer's end. There are a few tasks that are niggly and time consuming but the heaviest work is over. So take a stroll with me through the front while I share our plans! This is how it looks now:


You can see the driveway on the right of the photo...over time it has lowered slightly so we need to top up the red stones you can see there. We'll recycle the red stones from beside the new path over to build up the levels on the driveway. We are looking at getting either yellow/gold stones or that purple/blue shale to go along the path to add a bit of colour. Not quite decided yet. If you guys have used the purple shale, maybe you can tell me if it looks good on sunny days and when wet? Also the wall seperating the path from driveway there needs repainting but both these jobs are ok for me to get stuck into when the back calms down a bit.



The above photo is the bottom of the driveway, under our living room window. Here, we need to paint the wall, change the red stones to the same colour we put beside the path, throw out those bags of rubbish, fit that red slab to finish the path and replant the flower bed and deweed it. Nothing too bad there. 



The above picture is where the real changes will be seen. Starting from the top of the garden, we plan to lift up every second paving stone from the row against the fence. We will plant something colourful there to brighten the garden up and move the rubbish bins right down to the left of the photo. The huge bag of sand will be gone as we plan to use that for the patio. We'll paint the fence before we do that though. Final task can be seen in photo one-add on a garden gate!

I'll be putting up before and after photos as we progress with it. I hope to work on the front, getting things done while my dad and neighbour get the patio done out the back. So there is the plan! It'll look like a new garden when we're done!


4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that I don't have to deal with a garden... it sounds like far too much time and effort away from books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! I'm not the most green fingered person in the world and it's been neglected for so long! But this year it will finally be done!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing your progress and can't wait to see more updates. Sounds like it will look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to have an update each week that I get something done. Maybe that will help to motivate me!

      Delete