Sunday, 30 November 2014

Book Review: Lost Girl by Colleen Vanderlinden


Molly Brooks is a telepathic vigilante with a few secrets and a mysterious past. Determined to make something of her bizarre powers, she devotes herself to saving those who need her most. One night, she's followed by a powerful being in a pickup truck, and her world will never be the same. Finding herself thrust into a world full of supernatural beings she could have only imagined, Molly learns how powerful she really is, and how much she stands to lose.

Combining elements of urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Lost Girl is the first book in the Hidden series by author Colleen Vanderlinden.


My Review:
 
Molly is using her strange powers to try to rescue girls who have been kidnapped in her local area. But when she meets Nain, he offers to train her to control those powers and join his supernatural team who fight against evil. Molly needs the help but she isn't much of a team player and finds it tough to fit in-until she becomes the main target of the bad guys.

This was one of those books that I liked but it also had things in it that annoyed me enough to drop my rating.

Lets start with the good. I liked Molly and her mission to find the girls using the powers that she doesn't fully understand or control. She is feisty, antisocial and tough, a real kickass heroine who only wants to do good and save those that the police can't find. When she gets involved with Nain's gang, there were a few good characters there. I also loved the Imps! They were very funny and entertaining. They were certainly my favourite part of the book. Molly's expanding powers were also interesting. I liked the action scenes and every scene that featured the imps. The magic fights were good and there was a lot of well written scenes. However a few things really let the book down for me.

The biggest issue for me was the relationship between Molly and Nain. I get that they wouldn't fully trust each other in the beginning but the bickering between them was never ending and the pattern was the same over and over. Nain is always angry at her, talking down to her and treating her like crud, and then he gets mad when she wants to get away from him. He is a bit of a bully and the anger issues from his demon side got boring very quickly. I never felt any chemistry between the characters, just a lot of anger and distrust. It is hardly the great basis for a relationship.

The members of the gang had such interesting powers but Stone, Ada and Veronica were vastly underused. This crime fighting gang were supposed to be a team but you would have team members off fighting something nasty while Nain and Molly were having yet another fight of their own and that was so frustrating. I wanted to see the team together, not just more relationship angst which started to bore me. Molly's lack of brains also started to get annoying. She would sneak off to tackle something alone, discover that she couldn't deal with it, get hurt and call Nain for help. Then a few chapters later she would do the same again. And again. When characters refuse to learm from their mistakes, it just becomes annoying. Take some backup you stupid woman and don't be such a baby!

Also suddenly throwing in the stupid attempt at a love triangle so far into the book really spoiled the group dynamic and screwed up the story for me. It seemed to have been thrown in just to add more angst to the story-like we needed any more of that with all the fighting already there. It seems to me that some authors have a checklist of things they believe MUST be put into a book and follow it even if it isn't working. Love-hate relationship? Check. Pointless love triange? Check. Stupid heroine who isn't strong enough to handle a situation and has to keep being rescued? Check. There were just too many cliches in this book to get a top mark from me.

So the story itself should be a four. I liked the characters enough to want to know what happened next. I want to see more of the Imps. But the thought of dealing with more relationship issues, bad tempered fights and so on just put me right off so I doubt I will continue with the series.
star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment