Saturday, 1 November 2014

Book Review: Antigoddess by Kendare Blake


Old Gods never die…

Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health. Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.

These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning. Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out. Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.

The Goddess War is about to begin.


My Review:
I feel that there are not enough books out there making the most of the rich stories of Greek mythology. Recently, it has crept into YA and adult paranormal which I had thought was a good thing but there have been very few good ones to speak of. Ken Mooney's 'Godhead' was one of the best examples of how to weave mythology with modern life. Antigoddess was not.

Antigoddess was a pretty apt name for the book, considering that this was the opposite of what I was expecting and the opposite of most gods mythology books that I've read. It's a pity that I don't mean that in a good way.

It just did not work for me on any level. I didn't like any of the characters at all. Not a single one. Cassandra was a snotty cow with a superiority complex, seeming to think she was better than all her classmates, with her snide comments and observations. Yet she earns money by cheating them. Nice girl. The line up of gods and goddesses feature asshats, bitches and weirdos, all acting like stroppy teenagers and destroying the world in their petty fights over nothing. I was hoping they would all just die but no such luck. It is vital for me that I care about the characters and I have to like the MC or I'm never going to sign up for the full journey. When you don't like anybody, it becomes really tough to engage with the story at all.

The idea for the plot was interesting enough, and the author obviously did some research into Greek mythology so I'll give marks for that. I like to see something a bit different, which was why I picked this up in the first place. That and the fact that it was the free one in Waterstones 3 for 2 offer. But the actual delivery of the plot wasn't great. We have endless sections of our heroes wandering through the world exchanging the most boring conversations known to man, and spitting feathers at regular intervals. Literally. Don't ask, I'm not even going there. Then we switch to snotty Cassandra and her date mad classmates. Then the endless journey. Then Cassandra moaning and bitching again. It was never ending and boring with little of interest happening. I really don't enjoy books that take forever to get to the point and this was so slow it was going backwards.

The switching POV got annoying and was sometimes confusing. At times the whole plot felt like a dream sequence from a Hades nightmare, it was so confused and strange. it just didn't work for me and I wasn't enjoying it so I abandoned it and went to find something else.

This is the second series I have tried by this author and I won't be trying any more. It's obvious that her work just isn't for me personally. 
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment