Thursday, 20 November 2014

Book Review: Cerulean Sins by Laurell K Hamilton (Anita Blake #11)


Anita Blake is trying to get her life back to “normal” after a break-up with her werewolf lover. She has settled into a pattern of domesticity, which means that the new man in her life, the leopard shapeshifter Micah, has no problem sharing her with Jean-Claude, Master Vampire of the City. Things are as peaceful as they ever get for someone who raises the dead, when Jean-Claude receives an unexpected and unwelcome visitor: Musette, the very beautiful, very twisted representative of the European Council of Vampires. Anita soon finds herself caught up in a dangerous game of vampire power politics.

To add to her troubles, she is asked to consult on a series of brutal killings, which seem to be the work of something un-human. The investigation leads her to Cerulean Sins, a vampire-run establishment that deals in erotic videos, videos that cater to very specific tastes. Anita knows one creature of the night who has such interests — Jean-Claude’s visitor. But if Anita brings Musette down, the repercussions could cost her everything she holds dear.

Once a sworn enemy of all monsters, Anita is now the human consort of both Master Vampire Jean Claude and leopard shapeshifter Micah. When a centuries-old vampire hits St. Louis, Anita finds herself needing all the dark forces her passion can muster to save the ones she loves.


My Review:
This was one of those books that had good bits that I quite enjoyed and then bits that I really didn't like. I'm actually finding that in most of the books in the series and I think that is why those of us complaining about the series keep reading. There are still good things in each one and part of you still wants to know what happens to the characters you like.

It was nice to see Jason getting a bit more action in this book and he would be a much more interesting match for Anita than the boring Micah. I just can't see anything exciting or interesting about Micah. Yeah I know he is there to help rule the leopards but I still don't get him. Nathaniel has much more potential. I liked that Jean Claude finally felt fear about what was going to happen to his people and that he and Anita had to start thinking about ways to protect them from Musette. The vampire delegation were of course creepy and dangerous and I found a lot about them interesting. Anita is also forced to look at her inability to share Jean Claude with Asher, when he allows her to have so many lovers.

So these are the things that are getting on my nerves, things that annoyed me in other books and keep get repeated in each new one.

Now, how much abuse is Anita going to take from people who are meant to care about her? Dolph assaults her, drags her around a crime scene while she is very ill, arrests Jason for murder with no evidence, and starts calling her a whore and a monster for having had sex with Jason. I would maybe not have pressed charges on him but I would have told him in front of everyone that he is never to contact me again, he has no right to pass comment on my private life and that I would never work another crime scene with him ever again. Anita is meant to be tough so why not get tough with this guy? He stopped being your friend a long time ago.

Richard. Jeez this guy is driving me crazy. In every single book since about book 6 we have had him sulking about not being Anita's one and only. I did have sympathy back in book 6 as Jean Claude threatened Anita to force her to date him, and finding out that she had sex with the vampire before him was going to hurt. But even now when he is not her boyfriend, he is STILL moaning on about who she has slept with. And he puts his petty sulks ahead of Anita's safety. When there is obviously an issue happening at the meeting with Belle's people, Richard doesn't want to hear what is going on and is so self obsessed with giving orders to his wolves that people are getting hurt around him. It takes ages for him to realise that that people he knows are in danger because of his actions. While he is calling Anita the usual names, Micah is trying to protect Asher from serious harm. The man is all ME ME ME and I'm sick of him. For goodness sake, find a way to break ties with him and tell him to get lost.

For me this book had potential but I get so annoyed with the same crap coming from Dolph and Richard, the ever annoying ardeur and visiting vampires trying to attack everything. I just don't feel we are getting anything new in most of these books, just the same rehashed plots maybe with different people in them. It's just not keeping me engaged or entertained much anymore.
star rating photo: Two Star Rating 2stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment