Monday, 22 September 2014

Reading with Chuckles #5


Welcome to Reading with Chuckles! This is where I fill you in on what I'm reading each week-what it is, where I got it or heard about it, what I think of it, if I'm continuing with it or abandoning it and any special offers I'm aware of where you can try the book yourself. Comments are welcome but no spoilers please! It's not fair to other readers!

I finished reading Lost Girl which I started last week and mentioned in last week's blog. I did like the book. A good MC with interesting powers, interesting sidekick characters that were a bit underused, decent plot but it lapsed into the typical cliche' of that dreaded love-hate relationship between the two MCs and the damn love triangle which did not fit into the story for me, and kind of spoiled things. The first half of the book was 4 star but as the book went on, there were more things that annoyed and frustrated me so my overall rating has dropped to a 3 star, which is a pity. My full review will be posted soon.

 



I also read War Horse which I picked up in a charity shop during the week just because it was going cheap. It was very much like Black Beauty in the trenches of WW1 and it was a good read. There is plenty of detail about WW1 and is very balanced, telling the story from the horse point of view but giving a voice to British and German soldiers and French civilians. I had this beautiful version with the gorgeous colour illustrations throughout the book which was great! I think it's a book that adults and children can both enjoy. I'm not sure about watching the film though! 

My full review of the book will be posted soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment