Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Film Review: Marie Antoinette (2006)

The retelling of France's iconic but ill-fated queen, Marie Antoinette. From her betrothal and marriage to Louis XVI at 15 to her reign as queen at 19 and to the end of her reign as queen and ultimately the fall of Versailles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422720/?ref_=nv_sr_4
Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

This film was dreadful in the worst possible way. Now I like Kirsten Dunst as an actress and to say that she was wasted in this film is an understatement. Considering the script and everything else, she did a decent enough job of making this woman more likable than she appeared to be in real life from what I have read. I don't have an issue with the film people taking a hated character and portraying her as misunderstood though. It can be nice to see something a bit different because we don't always know the real story.

OK lets talk about the worst aspects of the film. All of our French characters were talking American teenager slang which does not make you feel that you are in the era of the French Revolution. It was pretty annoying. The big ball that they were all at had some kind of 80's rock music and the sex scene was like an Adam Ant music video. None of this fits with the revolution or a French drama and it just did not work for me at all. It was as if they were saying that they wanted to do a French story but it was to be fully American. I think the thing that annoyed me the most was showing the family all happy and smiling, escaping to a new life which pretty much rewrites history! It was the sickly sweet happily ever which was the final nail in the film's coffin. No, sorry not for me. I hated it!
star rating photo: 1 star orange-1star.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I didn't know that this film actually existed. Oh well, I am not really into World history so yeah, this one's not on my radar. I've only known Kirsten Dunst as the Spiderman lady. LOLs. Good to know that she made a good job being Marie Antoinette.

    Ugh. I don't mind HEAs but if it's over the top then no thanks. I hope that your next movie will be better than this one. :D

    Thanks for stopping by Thoughts and Pens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the next one is better too! Thanks for stopping by Charlotte!

      Delete