Friday, 19 September 2014

Film Review: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (2012)


Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, discovers vampires are planning to take over the United States. He makes it his mission to eliminate them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1611224/?ref_=nv_sr_1 
Filmography links and data courtesy of IMDb.

I didn't really have the highest hopes for this film despite loving American history and vampires, but I was pleasantly surprised. We follow the story of young Abe growing up with vampires in his life as he tries to avenge his family. A chance meeting with Henry, a skilled vampire hunter will change the course of his life as he learns the skills he needs to kill his enemies. But his faith in his work is tested when he wants to start a family.

I read this book a couple of years ago and it was a decent, if not great read. I actually prefer the film. There was an outstanding performance from Dominic Cooper as Henry the vampire hunting mentor. He gets better and better in every film that I see him in and I think he has a great career ahead of him. Benjamin Walker does a decent job of portraying Abe though I actually felt that Bill Oberst Jr was more convincing in the role in Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies. But that is a personal thing and it's not easy to play the part of such an icon so both did good jobs. Anthony Mackie and Jimmi Simpson were part of an excellent support cast.

The plot has a lot of good action sequences with scary vampires and no sparkles in sight! My favourite bit was the train scene which was well put together, with exciting moments and a few twists. History and fantasy are nicely mixed in this film and there is plenty of interest to keep viewers entertained.

I'm not a big fan of this talk over narration in films. I like to see events unfold rather than having someone telling me what is happening.  Still, this is just a minor niggle and doesn't spoil the film in any way. So overall a good film that I'd watch again.

star rating photo: Three Star Rating 3stars.png

No comments:

Post a Comment