Monday, 1 September 2014

Book Review: Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #2)


Under the rule of science, there are no witch burnings allowed, no water trials or public lynchings. In return, the average law-abiding, solid citizen has little to worry about from the things that go bump in the night. Sometimes I wish I was an average citizen...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places-and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind.

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary-and neither is the demon inside of him.


My Review:
Mercy’s vampire friend Stefan wants her to be a witness as he delivers a message to a new vampire in town who isn't playing by the rules. But the vampire has a demon possessing him so it all turns bloody. Civilians are being butchered, crime is skyrocketing and the supernatural community is on edge as they search for a way to destroy the enemy. Mercy feels she has to help as her shapeshifter skills can track this enemy where others can't.

Can I gush any more as to how much I love this series? Mercy is such a great heroine. She has interesting but not superpower skills so she gets into trouble and gets hurt like a normal person, especially with so many supernatural friends to bring trouble to her door. She has a job she loves that she is determined to continue with, whatever happens. She has an ex that she cares about but knows she can't be with, and an attraction to someone who she knows will mean a big change in her life and she is unsure if she can do that or if his pack will accept her. CHOOSE ADAM!!! Now that boy would be my choice without a doubt! I do like Samuel and I hope they fix him up with someone nice but Adam just rules...Stefan is a great character and I just grin every time I picture a vampire driving the Scooby Doo minivan around town! If he did that in my town some wee thug would steal it and set it on fire...

I love the pack and the way that their personalities and ambitions are always changing, along with their opinions of Mercy being with Adam. Warren is such a sweetie and I love the way his character is written. He's not just thrown in as a token gay character, he is there with a purpose and a real place in the plot. I hope to see him continue to develop as a main player in the pack. Being a gay werewolf high up in the pack with strong homophobic and pack enemies gives so many possible future plotlines for him. Ben interested me from the start with him being suspected of rapes in London and having that air of menace about him. But Adam believes in him and it reminds me of how Dumbledore trusted Snape in the Harry Potter books when nobody else did. I like Ben because he is complex, rude and loyal to Adam. The constant friction and power struggles in the pack strike me as being quite realistic, the way you imagine a pack to operate.

The plot of the demon possessed vampire was good and what I like about this series is that the vampires are deadly, dangerous and pretty scary, other than Stefan. Marsilia is a psychopath and I get nervous for Mercy when she has contact with her and Wulfe is one of the creepiest vampires that I've read. The vampires are dealing with the fact that they have a traitor, which is interesting. The werewolves have just come out in public, putting Adam and Mercy under more scrutiny which adds an extra dimension to their relationship, in addition to pack issues. I feel as if there are several different exciting plots that interconnect nicely, delivering strong action, humour and character development.

I like the way Mercy decides to defy all the dangerous people in her life to do what she feels is right. She is a brave and endearing heroine and I love this series!
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Hooray!! Glad you liked Mercy Thompson. Patricia Briggs is one of my favorites--I've read every Mercy Thompson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love this series. I read the books a few years ago and I'm just getting them uploaded to this new blog a bit at a time. Such great characters and plots!

      Delete