Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Wishlist Wednesday #2


Wishlist Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Pen to Paper at http://www.pentopaperblog.com/

Wishlist Wednesday is a book blog hop where we will post about one book per week that has been on our wishlist for some time, or just added (it's entirely up to you), that we can't wait to get off the wishlist and onto our wonderful shelves.

The Count is VERY grumpy when he adds books to his wishlist because he wants them NOW! So which book is he so keen to get a hold of this week?It is Dead Trees by Eli Constant. I heard about it through a retweet from my author friend Ken Mooney who wrote the excellent Godhead. He was retweeting a message posted by Claire C. Riley, author of Limerence on her brilliant blog:
http://www.clairecriley.com/blog.html It sounded like just my kind of book!



A scientist mommy battling beasties better be handy with a scalpel.

Elise Swanson is trying to give her daughters a decent childhood. This should be a simple task, but the invading undergrounders – subterranean humanoids that have existed since the dawn of mankind – make outdoor playtime a tad tricky.

After fleeing Georgia and surviving six months of bumbling self-sufficiency, Elise and her daughters meet Jason. He's tough and nature-savvy. Pit stop fights with beasties define the survival-road that the four companions navigate. The bloody pavement finally ends in Washington State at a government safe zone where the trekkers hope to build a stationary life.

A little rest and rehab would be nice, but Elise is quickly led down a path of research and deception where humanity's future isn't a priority. She becomes leader of a secret plan and long nights in the lab keep her busy. She strives to destroy the undergrounders and the life of an underhuman crossbreed hangs in the balance.

The H2H (Humanoid-to-Human)inoculation has a small probability of success, but Elise has to believe it will work. Hour by hour, she becomes less confident and more emotionally compromised by the rapidly growing, stunning underhuman. Her maternal nature leads to a late-night escapade resulting in a platinum-haired, third daughter and a million uncertainties.

Fleeing her home, Elise had two loved ones to shelter. That number has risen. When the not-so-safe zone is invaded by beasties, she will save her family... no matter the consequences.

Dead Trees is a classic dystopian, post-apocalyptic, Sci-Fi novel. It contains scenes of graphic violence, mild romantic elements, and some foul language. 


9 comments:

  1. Now this sounds interesting! I'm considering giving this a try :)

    Janina
    My WW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about it on the blog of a writer I follow and I was intrigued!

      Delete
  2. I havent heard of this before but it sounds awesome!! Great pick :) Ill have to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I dread blog hopping...someone always has a great book you just have to add to wishlist!

      Delete
  3. Never heard about this one before, looks good though.
    Hope you get it soon!

    My WW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bought it this week!!! No restraint...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dystopia is my second favorite genre with Fantasy as my first. This really sounds good but I am still taking a break from reading Dystopia. I need a break from reading a lot of teen angst which is almost always present in Dystopian books.

    And I see that you already bought it. I hope you have fun reading it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for it to arrive from Amazon any day now!

      Delete