Friday, 27 September 2013

Friday Favourites #1


This meme is about showcasing favourites. Each week I plan to showcase a favourite book or series, past and present and tell you all why I love it and why you should try it! If you want to join in, please go to our host Natalie and leave a comment on her Friday Favourites post with a link to your post. If enough of us join in, she'll provide a linky for us all to connect. So what are you waiting for?

THIS WEEK: IT by STEPHEN KING

The first thing that attracted me to the book was the creepy cover. Who doesn't love the idea of that monster lurking in the drains ready to reach out and grab you? I was 12 or 13 when I first read this so I could relate perfectly to the kids feelings about this monster that took the shape of everything that terrified them: werewolves, mummies, lepers and a scary ass clown! I mean, who could love clowns with those creepy grins? Watching these misfit kids trying to battle a monster that kills children in a town where adults were content to look the other way was chilling. Each child had their own scary encounter with the clown as well as the group encounters and the tension that built up was great. There was also a great side story of the school bully psycho who is also trying to kill them all summer. If this wasn't good enough, we then have the children returning as adults to battle the monster again, finding that it is harder to deal with this as a grown up when you are even more scared of what is in the dark.  Brilliant. Loved the characters, loved the plot and LOVED Pennywise the Clown. 


To the children, the town was their whole world. To the adults, knowing better, Derry, Maine was just their home town: familiar, well-ordered for the most part. A good place to live.

It was the children who saw - and felt - what made Derry so horribly different. In the storm drains, in the sewers, IT lurked, taking on the shape of every nightmare, each one's deepest dread. Sometimes IT reached up, seizing, tearing, killing . . .

The adults, knowing better, knew nothing.

Time passed and the children grew up, moved away. The horror of IT was deep-buried, wrapped in forgetfulness. Until they were called back, once more to confront IT as IT stirred and coiled in the sullen depths of their memories, reaching up again to make their past nightmares a terrible present reality



2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book but when I was younger I watched the movie and it scared me soooo much!! I still remember it to this day :) Great pick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clowns in general give me the creeps! When you add the other monsters I'd hate to have lived in Derry!

      Delete