Do you ever get the feeling that someone has it in for you? It has been like that for my dad and I these last two days and our mood right now is pretty low. Things had been going well over the weekend with some good reading and looking forward to election night on Thursday...but no, the universe has to slap you down when things are going too smoothly.
We're not going to be able to get the new washing machine until some time in January. The make and model I want that perfectly suits my needs and budget is not available for delivery for 3-4 weeks which is a real pain so it is handwashing clothes right through the festive period as best as I can. I can't describe how tiring and frustrating it is to handwash things like jeans. Gah. But I figured there was no point moaning about it as I was going to have to do it regardless of my whining about it.
Then came the blow this morning. Remember that fence in my back garden that I spent all summer dodging wasps to get painted that nice raspberry colour? Well the storm last night blew the damn thing right down. It pulled up the posts and the concrete and cracked some of the wood. It is going to cost at least £1000 to replace the whole thing plus it took about £150 to buy the paint. Now we need to do it all over again. All those hours wasted...and when we'll get the money to do it is another thing. And it means endlessly waiting to get someone to come and replace it and that was a joy last time round. I'm just so pissed off right now as we didn't need this after the washing machine fiasco. My dad is going around like a total bear ranting that it could be next winter before we get a new fence. He's in a foul mood and I'm trying to distract him with American Ninja Warrior.
The wind is still howling today, way worse than the slightly windy that they were predicting. We're anxiously watching the other fences and hoping they don't break too. It's going to be a pretty long day and night until this stupid storm passes. I'm trying to tell myself that this could be so much worse. When it comes down to it, it's a fence and our neighbours on that side are good people. We still have a warm house with a working fire, plenty food and a gas and electricity supply. Others lose these things in storms so I'm going to try and stay positive and just get on with it. What else can we do huh!
Hope you guys are having a better week!


I'm so sorry. It does seem that things come in groups. At least that's how we feel at times as well. I'm so glad you could put a positive spin on it though. Hope Papa Bear gets over the grumps soon but I can definitely understand why he feels that way!
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to stay positive but part of me wants to rant and scream! Papa Bear went to order a new washing machine today but we don't have the delivery date yet. Now the computer is making all kinds of noises so that better not break!!!
DeleteThat does look like the universe taking the piss though doesn't it? I can understand your Dad's exasperation and am amazed at your calm response! Can any of the fence be salvaged?
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed the rest of the storm passes soon with no further damage
I sort of freaked out the first day but to keep my stress levels down I had to take a step back and chill! My dad didn't take it quite so well! The bit that pisses me off is the multiple hours of painting I did which will need to be done AGAIN whenever we get the new fence! The main struts aren't any use but we might be able to use the planks for small fences around the garden or something-maybe! The storm has moved on thankfully!
DeleteSorry to hear about the fence. That sucks. I hope you can find someone to fix it that doesn't cost too much.
ReplyDeleteIt will certainly be £1000 if we put up a four foot fence but the six foot we had will be more. We need to consider that!
Deleteoh sorry to hear about the handwashing! I do remember how hard i tis to handwash things like jeans I hope you have many cozy home days where you can just stay in your PJs and not have a lot of things to wash. At least until January :)
ReplyDeleteI never knew how much I loved my washing machine until it broke down! I'm ordering my dad to weat shorts instead of jeans!!! I'm certainly in PJ mode!
DeleteArgh!!! It's such a bummer that these things seem to come in clumps! I hope this week was much better for you! <3
ReplyDeleteI can't remember how the week went now!
Delete