Thursday, 26 December 2019

Chuckles Chuntering


Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and Happy Holidays to everyone else! We have had a quiet couple of days with no mass excitement or upheaval which is good! We don't exchange gifts now but we still find a good excuse for lots of food!

At 11am, we had our traditional glass of Buck's Fizz along with a prawn cocktail. Lunch at 1pm was a turkey joint with sage and onion stuffing, bread sauce and roast potatoes. At about 4pm we then had caramel churros with single cream. I'd always wanted to try churros so when I saw it in Aldi this year I had to grab it! Later, I got stuck into a big box of chocolates! That's the way to relax in front of the TV!

On Christmas Eve I reached my Goodreads goal of 200 books with a few zombies getting me over the line! The same books also got me over the line in getting my TBR under 900 books! HURRAH! Getting to my goals meant that on Christmas Day I caught up with the Darts in the afternoon and then had four hours of fun watching a 4 part DVD documentary following a year inside Parliament. It was fascinating following the MPs going about their business, the way members fight to get attention for their issues and bills, the plotting to wreck a government bill or opposition bill, the debates, getting ready for big Parliament events like The Queen's Speech, the men who repair things, the guy who owns the hawk that chases the pigeons, those who maintain the clock on Big Ben, interviews with a ton of MPs...fascinating stuff! My dad spent last night playing games on the PS3!

Today we ate the second half of the turkey joint so I just had to reheat that and cook more roast potatoes and bread sauce. I'm totally stuffed now and trying to catch up on a few posts before another night of TV or maybe fit in a couple of short stories if I feel like it.

Can I just say a thank you to Barb, Sam and Laura who suggested looking online for tutorials for my washing machine. I found it straight away on YouTube and have downloaded it to my computer for reference. It has all the details I need on the washing cycles and buttons and regular maintenance. Thanks guys! I'll be doing my first wash with it tomorrow! 

Plans for the rest of the year include preparing my first few challenge posts for next year which won't take long, trying to get my final book reviews done, then think about what my first read of the year will be. It's always a very important selection and last year I picked a couple of big books, starting them just before New Year and getting them finished a few days later. I'm toying with trying Fire and Blood first because it's HUGE! I'll be doing the Goodreads Challenge with a reduced target so I can fit in more TV nights watching films and box sets. I'm way behind on a lot of TV so I need to fit that in with my reading next year.

Hope everyone has had a good few days and that Santa was good to those he visited! Did you get anything fun? Any booky treats? 

 

26 comments:

  1. thank goodness for zombies. glad you are enjoying the holiday season

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good Christmas. I met my goal of 100 books this year so I'm happy for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas was just a quiet day except for more food than usual! Congrats on reaching your goal!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on reaching your reading goals! I'm glad you had a happy Christmas. Hope your New Year's is just as good. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The festive period is pretty much like every other day for us except more food to eat! New Year will be a typical night except trying to ignore the noise outside...

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you're having a nice holiday. :) The food sounds good too! And that PArliament DVD sounds fascinating- I love behind the scenes stuff like that!

    Congrats too on hitting your GR goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DVD was brilliant fun to watch and I learned a lot I didn't know about Parliament and what goes on. I'm overdosing on political documentaries right now!

      Delete
  5. YEAH!! I am so glad you were able to find the information for your washer. Definitely one of the more positive things about the internet. I LOVE Churros! So yummy, and even better with the sauce. Sounds like you had a nice holiday. Glad to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought of YouTube for stuff like that but I'll remember that for other things in the future! The churros went a bit soggy with the cream but I didn't have chocolate sauce for dipping!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you and your dad had a wonderful holiday. We're still in puppy mode and I think I'm too old for this :) So I'm glad you were able to find some info on Youtube that helped. I got the new Harry Potter illustrated book along with a great Harry mug and a stuffed Nifler. I got some other books, a pair of waterproof snowboots I drastically needed to walk the dogs and a few other items. And of course, a puppy right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be interested in a stuffed niffler too-I have my eye on one in Waterstones for after Christmas. Harry Potter gifts are always fun! Sounds like you did pretty well and a cute puppy too!

      Delete
  7. I am trying to get things caught up and organized before the new year starts. I am glad you had a couple of nice relaxing days and congrats on meeting your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have been too relaxed as a pile of housework has to be done before January!

      Delete
  8. I love churros! Your Christmas sounds delicious. I ate chicken potpie and lots of chocolate. Congrats on hitting your Goodreads goal. I got 4 books for Christmas that I’m super excited to read.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate is a must any day of the year! This time of year is bad for the waistline!

      Delete
  9. Merry belated Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful New Year as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Year will be like any other day-nice and chilled out! I just hope there are no wild parties in the street!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on getting your TBR under 900!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your new reading challenges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be posting my new challenge posts on the 1st-they are pretty much ready to go! I was so pleased to get to my goals...mostly!

      Delete
  11. That is excellent news about getting under 900. You've hit some BIG milestones this year with your tbr and I hope you can keep that energy into '20 :-)

    Bookstooge.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty pleased overall with my reading for the year and I hope to continue that next year!

      Delete
  12. Churros are yummy! I'm at that point of Christmas/New Year where I desperately want to eat something other than left over Christmas food, cake and chocolate! We happily stuffed ourselves full but I'm dying now, lol.

    Glad you decrypted your washer and had a good few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall it has been pretty stress free for Christmas which is good and I enjoyed the food of course! Now I need to get a pile of housework done...groan!

      Delete
  13. Ah, I recently had my first churro too! From Taco Bell, hahaha. Did you like it? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cream made it a big soggy...next time I'll have it with strawberry sauce or something!

      Delete