Saturday, 12 March 2016

Stacking the Shelves #125


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga’s Reviews

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! Click on the link under the book to find its page on Goodreads or Smashwords. 

Please note that I always leave a message on your STS/SP if you visit me, but if you use DISQUS or a similar third party I will not be able to leave a comment on your page. I don't allow any company access to my social media accounts and I certainly don't allow them to edit and take over my accounts the way DISQUS does. So if you use DISQUS, I can't leave comments on your page so I can't really follow you back, sorry! And sometimes, I have problems leaving messages on blogs hosted by Wordpress-they try to block me so there might not be a message from me some weeks or you might get a double message sometimes! Blame them, not me!
                      
I'm finding it hard to believe that this is the middle of March we are looking at now. The time seems to be flying by too quickly. My dad and I are going to have a busy year trying to get the house fixed up. Over the last 10 years the house has become a bit shabby and untidy and we're both sick of it! So we have a lot of work to do to get things to how we want them. I have the living room which needs painting and a new carpet, the kitchen needs a proper spring scrub down and a few appliances replaced, all the shelves need strengthened and tidied to give us more space, plus the garden needs slabs laid, new gate, fence painted, plants trimmed and moved...the list seems never ending! We don't really have money to spare to hire anyone to do it so we need to do it ourselves. Ugh! Not looking forward to it! We got the hall tidied last night and everything stored neatly which was a start and I started getting my own room tidied, getting the piles of books and boxes put away neatly!
 
On the book side of things, it has also been busy! This was Urban Fantasy week so I tackled some books that have been sitting on my shelves for years and most will now be traded on to new homes around the country. I think I only finished one but it was a good one so that's ok. It is Imperium by Nicholas Olivo. I plan to get the next couple of books in the series with my next Amazon voucher! I also started to clear the backlog of book reviews which I'm nearly drowning in! Over the years I've taken notes on each book I read to help me write reviews later so I don't forget anything important! Trouble is, I read faster than I review so the notes are stacking up plus I've lost notes for a lot of older books which means either reviewing from memory or skimming through the books to do it again! Still it has refreshed my memory on some of the series I am planning to catch up on this year so it's not a total waste! It might be a few weeks before I get to reviewing what I read this year but once I've caught up, things will stay that way!
 
This weeks books are a mixture of those I grabbed many weeks ago and paperbacks purchased by Amazon vouchers! Exciting stuff!
 
DOWNLOADS: 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
PAPERBACKS:
 
 
 
 
 

29 comments:

  1. Because I'm moving back into my parents' house for a while, there's a lot of DIY going on here, too! Two new sets of shelves went up in the last few weeks... at least my dad's excellent at DIY!

    I really need to get round to reading Kevin Hearne's series. I borrowed them from the library a while back, but then someone reserved them before I got to them, so I just returned them.

    Hope you have time to enjoy books between all the DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the DIY will be done in daylight hours so I can still chill out with my books at night! I dread to think how long all this will take-most of the year probably. At times you wish you had Harry Potter's wand...

      I've read the first Kevin Hearne book and a few stand alone short stories and really enjoyed them! I want to get caught up with a few series this year-I've been saying that for the last five years I think! I might need a Morganville Vampires month (or more!)!!!

      Delete
  2. Every time we start working on the house it seems like we end up doing something to every room. It is hard to work on just one. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end. I have been wanting to read the Jennifer Estep series and hope you enjoy the new book. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah one job leads to ten! I hate this kind of work but it needs to be done and it will be worth it in the end, as you say. It's just DOING it that is the problem! The hoover was working overtime yesterday!

      I've only read the first Jennifer Estep book so far so I have a LOT of catching up to do before I get to read this new one!

      Delete
  3. I've read some David Dalgish and James Tuck, I've been curious about Jennifer Estep's series. Nice haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the James Tuck prequel and I'm pretty excited about getting into this series now. Along with all the other books I want to read!

      Delete
  4. I have quite a bit of spring cleaning and organizing to do, myself. I've been quite preoccupied lately. I really want to start the Kevin Hearne books, I keep hearing good things about that series. I got Midnight Bites last week. I love Morganville. Enjoy your new books and have a great weekend/week!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have Midnight Bites there is no excuse not to do a full series read. Not exactly sure how long it will take me but it should be fun! I also need to catch up with Kevin Hearne series. And quite a few others. That's the fun bit, the DIY isn't fun at all! We did get the hall finished this morning which I'm pleased about.

      Delete
  5. Owning a house can get quite expensive. We have a few projects w want to tackle ourselves this year. Shuffle the Dark looks really creepy. I just started The Taxidermist' s Daughter last night because I was in the mood for something dark and gothic. Hope you enjoy all your new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our own fault for putting off so many things for many years! I guess I've been lazy and used my weight as an excuse not to do things but I need to get my butt in gear now!

      Delete
  6. Urban fantasy is the best! I've read two books in that genre recently and oh how I've missed it.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you find a really good UF book to get your teeth into!

      Delete
  7. I agree, I can hardly believe we're already the middle of March either, Chuckles. It was just Christmas, wasn't it?
    I have started purging stuff and cleaning the house as well, that's a true sign spring is close - I don't know how this happens, it must be instinct.
    Enjoy all your new books, and have a fantastic week ahead.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's some kind of nesting gene that we share with the birds! I keep telling myself that the house will look great and the garden pretty and functional when we're finished but it doesn't cheer me up any!

      Delete
  8. I have Hounded to read and I've only read the first Estep one. I need to try this Caine series too. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first of each series so you're right there with me! I love the covers especially on The Morganville Vampires! Soooo pretty and shiny! My preccciiiooouusss!

      Delete
  9. Bitter Bite is one of the best books of the series. I loved it - hope you do as well!
    Bambi's StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I can't leave a comment on your blog! Every time I try, it tries to force me to open a Google + account. I don't want to be part of Google + so it won't let me comment or follow you. Sorry!

      Delete
  10. Good luck with the renovations on your house, sounds like it will take some time and effort to get it in a good state again.

    I think I have only read one Urban Fantasy book this year, but I do love the genre. I hope you had some good reads and your haul of new books looks great I have read the first 6 or so Elemental Assassin books, so I am really behind now. I need to catch up once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hate this kind of hard work but it needs to be done and we've put it off for about seven years now! I invested today in one of those pressure hose things which you strap to your back so that looks like a big help for watering plants and cleaning doors and things. I do like a labour saving gadget and it was really cheap at Aldi compared to DIY shops.

      Delete
  11. Heard good things about the Kevin Hearne series. Enjoy your latest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the action and the humour, especially with Oberon the dog being able to mentally talk to him!

      Delete
  12. What a fun bunch of books. I know fixing up your house is hard work, but you are investing in it's value. My husband does all the work on our house. It is never ending! So far he has redone all the kitchen cabinets, and is now making pull out drawers for all the cabinets so we can access everything easier. He has become an expert on woodworking, as a result. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course...I know it will be worth it in the end. We completed work on the hall this morning which is great and it looks good. It's the kitchen I'm really dreading as it is a dumb shaped room with no space and it needs a good clear out!

      Delete
  13. Good luck with all the DIY, I am terrible at it myself. I do wish I was better at it, it would come in very handy. You've got a large collection of books this week, good luck deciding what to read next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no talent or skill for DIY either so that should be a riot on legs! My dad is trying to teach me a few things-I hope his patience doesn't run out!

      Delete
  14. I love that you have themed weeks! I rarely do this although this October I'm going to try to read more horror stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing theme each week seems to be working for me-it encourages to try and read more, to fit in 'one more read' before the week ends! Thankfully it help keep me focused and not get bored with one genre. Next week will either be YA week or Dystopia or Mountain Disaster week. I'll decide later!

      Delete
  15. Good luck with getting the house sorted out, it sounds one heck of a job but once its done you will be very proud of yourselves!!

    Plus think how nice it will be once you are done to kick back and relax with a nice book!

    ReplyDelete