Thursday, 31 March 2016

Book Review: Day by Day Armageddon by JL Bourne (Book #1)


START INTERCEPT

SPORADIC NEW REPORTS INDICATE CHAOS AND VIOLENCE SPREADING THROUGH U.S. CITIES. AN UNKNOWN EVIL IS SWEEPING THE PLANET. THE DEAD ARE RISING TO CLAIM THE EARTH AS THE NEW DOMINANT SPECIES IN THE FOOD CHAIN.
INTERCEPT COMPLETE

In your hands is the handwritten journal depicting one man's struggle for survival. Trapped in the midst of global disaster, he must make decisions; choices that ultimately mean life, or the eternal curse to walk as one of them.

ENTER IF YOU WILL INTO HIS WORLD. THE WORLD OF THE UNDEAD.


My Review:
A Naval pilot decides to ignore orders for military personnel to return to their bases as the zombie apocalypse begins, preferring to barricade himself in his home with supplies and weapons and hide from the new enemy, recording the events in his diary. Finding his neighbour John alive along with greyhound Annabelle, they decide it is getting too dangerous to stay and plan to find an aircraft so they can find somewhere safer. But every place they find has new dangers and other survivors and a plan is made to find somewhere they can all hide.

I don't generally enjoy the diary format used in zombie books but this was an exception. I loved our hero and John, and the gorgeous and adorable Annabelle! I was very anxious about her safety through the book-I'm always rooting for the dogs and I have a soft spot for greyhounds! It's vital in a zombie book that I care about the MCs and want to see them survive and the author does a good job of getting the characters developed so you root for them. The new additions are all very much to be liked, so I was pretty happy with the 'cast' and liked the story of their survival.

There is a lot of action to be enjoyed ion this book. There are scenes with zombies on the street where the men live, their escape, the airfield, the marina, the supply runs and the journey to the hideout. Then there is the big and exciting action scene at the end to enjoy! The action is well written and tense which I liked. Usually those choosing the diary format lose a lot of bthe tension by telling, not showing but the author manages to convey the danger and excitement despite the diary format. There are lots of zombies which is another bonus. Too many zombie novels seem to get distracted by romance and zombies become an afterthough, but this book is about the zombies and how the characters deal with them.

I liked the idea of Hotel 23, which you and the characters think will be a safe sanctuary but turns out to be a lot more complicated! There is a great potential for plots of all kinds with this as a base and I am quite excited to see where the story goes from here. This book does end on a massive cliffhanger which some readers might not like but as I already had the whole trilogy in paperback, I was already grabbing the second book to read on.

The one thing that puzzled me was that our narrator, the naval pilot, doesn't seem to have a name, which was unusual. Or maybe it was mentioned and I just couldn't find it when I was looking through the book again to add to my notes. I don't suppose it really matters!

There was a lot to like about this book-the characters, the dog, lots of zombies, psycho humans, lots of action, changing locations and transport, and tension filled. I very much recommend this for zombie fans! 
star rating photo: 5 Star Rating 5stars.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Crap, I hate pets in books as I need to know that they survive before I get any further, I have this on my wish list and I am looking forward to reading it even more now. The cover is just plain scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'mthe same...there is a beagle called Woof in Jack Kilborn's horror 'Afraid' and poor Woof is in danger all the time. I was frantic!

      Delete